Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Staff Management Turning down staff position offer?

For topics on managing and supporting the forum's moderation team.

Ja sa bong

Credits
If you're on the hunt for staff members through the active members in your community, after choosing the right candidate whom you believe would serve as a staff member, have such a member turned down the offer to become a staff member for one reason or another?

If a member rejected your offer to become a staff member, would you try persuading him/her to change mind?

No means no, of course if you catch a whiff that there's something about it in your power to correct, do see if it's possible to resolve. It's one thing if it comes down to wanting to enjoy the scenery or not enough time but if there is some matter of policy or misconception or conflict involved perhaps you can figure it out amicably and flip that no.

I would give them time, but I would check in with them about it later on. I wouldn't push it more than that, especially not by trying to persuade them. If you try to talk them into taking the position they most likely won't remain active or fully "in" as they truly didn't want to be a part of it in the first place.

If I had to decline, I would love if someone reached out again. It would be an ego booster in my mind, as long as the person asking was respectful of me.

I guess it depends on what their reason is. If it’s due to personal reasons/lack of time etc, then I probably wouldn’t persist. However, if they said they didn’t feel they were ready or had the skill to do it, I’d assure them that they were selected for a reason and offer to talk with them more about why they’d be suited for the role.

It's mostly the opposite for me, hard to get anyone to do it and if they choose to not do it then I lave them be :) No point pushing them to do something that they do not want to do ;) also if they are in that position they won't even give it there 100%

Even so they are so many people that love to have an staff position and they end up being rejected ;P

I sometimes get offers or messages on Off Topix asking if I'll work for someone. I just ignore them and move on. I'm not interested in staffing at 20 different forums. Especially on forums that look badly set up that no one wants to join.

I wouldn't be offended and I would take no as a stern no. Some people don't like the responsibilities and obligations a staff member has to do. I would probably just remind them that if they wanted to be staff in the foreseeable future perhaps, then the spot for them may still be open, but I'm certainly not going to beg them to be a staff member of my forum.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor