Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Turning a job down?

Credits
Let’s say for example you attended two job interviews in both and a difficult decision lies ahead on the road. One of those job offers you physically can’t take and have to reject. What is the best way to reject a job offer without damaging future business relationships with that employer?

I would recommend thanking them for the opportunity and writing a letter that you are rejecting the job offer with a brief reason why and you thank them for their time, aswell as mentioning you look forward to meeting with the manager in future business relationships if the time comes

Advertisement Placeholder
It is a tough decision but you just have to do it, the definitely can't force you to work for them. I would honestly tell them that I did apply for various jobs in different institutions. I would tell them that I manage to secure a job at one earlier so I can't be able to work for all. They will just have to look for a new employee.

It is a tough decision but you just have to do it, the definitely can't force you to work for them. I would honestly tell them that I did apply for various jobs in different institutions. I would tell them that I manage to secure a job at one earlier so I can't be able to work for all. They will just have to look for a new employee.
I haven’t got a problem with telling that. Where my anxiety stems from, is by rejecting the offer of employment it could potentially affect future applications with that employer if you ‘cross paths’ in the future. Either way you look at it, it’s a tough thing to overcome while being respectful.

Though in my country , getting a single job opportunities is a blessing not to talk of having two, but when you are in the position to turn one job opportunity down , you need to look for their disadvantages to you and use it as an excuse and do it with respect.

I haven’t got a problem with telling that. Where my anxiety stems from, is by rejecting the offer of employment it could potentially affect future applications with that employer if you ‘cross paths’ in the future. Either way you look at it, it’s a tough thing to overcome while being respectful.
Yes, I completely agree with your point here. The way you have explained it seems like the best way to turn down a job. Being so direct might seem rude to the employer or may hurt his/her feelings. Thanks for the idea.

Just tell them why you are rejecting, all of the reasons and as you say thank them for their time and appreciation.
And as you say keep a contact with them and tell them that it is perhaps not over and maybe there will be a time in life when you accept their offer. Because why rejecting when you can keep it for later, if you reject something forever then it won't be able to easily get it back but if you keep it for later on in life you can always forget about it, so as you say it's better to simply tell them that it may not be over with them. I would also wish them good luck forward in life and at their work. Simply bringing honesty and wishes into the conversation with them and then they won't be able to tell a single bad thing about you which is keeping the future relationships with them respected and safe.

The best approach is to politely reject the job by writing a letter as your have stated in the thread. You should state the reasons why you rejected the job. All your writings must be passive so that it won't look as if you deliberately rejected the offer.

At the moment, the way my country is going, I can not just turn down a job just like that it is either I can not do what is necessary there demands or they are not paying as it suppose to be.

My wife recently had to deal with this. She wanted to start working part-time again just because the cost of everything is going up. We have put off buying a house and having children for now. Anyways- she had the option to take a job in two different places. They both paid the same but one of them ended up sounding more stressful so she went with the other one.

Actually having two jobs opportunities is really a great thing but in such cases you need to compare the advantages and disadvantages associated with the two jobs and find one which is more compatible compared to the other one.

There are times when you should turn down a job offer, but what you say or write when you decline depends on your reasons for rejecting it. If the job wasn't a good fit, for example, but you liked the company, state in your email or phone call that you were impressed with the organization but didn't view the job as a good fit for you

You can turn down a job maybe is not the kind of job you really want that can be the only reason why a person can turn he/ her job down, for me is not bad to turn down a job that you do not like.

You can say that you were very pleased to having selected and it shows how devalue your skills but you cannot be able to work with their company at this point in time because you have gotten an offer that matches you better at this stage of your career.

I don't think to turn a job down especially if the terms and conditions and even payment is not favourable to you. some employers want more from employees but cannot pay for the services. Some jobs don't even give you time hence highly stressful. With all these, turning the job down is not bad.

The best approach is to politely reject the job by writing a letter as your have stated in the thread. You should state the reasons why you rejected the job. All your writings must be passive so that it won't look as if you deliberately rejected the offer.
Turning a job down can be a reason why such thing can happen maybe long the line the person find the job so difficult that he/ she can't handle, that can be reason why some people can rejected the job offer.

Number one, it will be absolutely rude of you to reject the job offer without an explanation or two to the employer. This explanation should give a very good and relatable reasons why you're turning the offer down. It will be a good gesture from you that way than not even giving them a reason for turning down the job.

What you suggested is a sensible way of communicating rejecting a job. In general, I don't think it should damage your future opportunities as long as you are polite and appreciative.

There are tons of reason why you can turn a job down even when the level of unemployment is Getting worse daily , most job presents peanuts as salary which is not even enough for their transport fare.

You've given the perfect template for doing that. Though there was a job I recently got and didn't follow the process you laid out when I was turning it down anyways, I just became incommunicado and they moved on.

A friend of mine had similar issue with an outfit that he applied for,and after he scale through the interview he was asked to resume,he keep postponing the resumption until he confided in me that he was in a at a fixed,i advise him to informed them that he would not like to take the job due to financial and logistics reasons.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds