Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Time for a redesign? Here's some advice

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
So, you've got your website up and running, and your community is growing. Your users seem satisfied, but you're thinking it's time for a redesign. This can be a natural progression for your site, but it's important to approach it carefully.

I've seen countless sites that have introduced a new design that just doesn't work. The site owner may think it's fantastic, but the users disagree. It's natural to feel attached to a new design that you've spent a lot of time on, but ultimately, your visitors are the key to your success. If they're not happy, they'll go elsewhere.

Small concerns about a redesigned site are normal, as users may take some time to get used to the changes. However, if a major overhaul isn't well-received and users are still complaining weeks later, it's time to take action.

To avoid this situation, it's important to plan a new design thoroughly before putting it into action. Ask yourself why you want to redesign the site and how it will improve the user experience. Remember that a redesign should be done for the users, not for your own ego. If your users love your site, even if it's not the most attractive, and traffic is increasing, it may not need a redesign. Also, keep your search engine positions in mind when considering a redesign, as it could affect your ranking.

If you're running a community website, consider involving your users in the redesign process. I have done this before when we had our custom theme made. You can post mock-ups and ask for their feedback, which will make them feel more involved in the community and provide valuable insights from a user's perspective.

Redesigns can be a positive thing if done for the right reasons and in the right way. Your website's design reflects your online brand, so be careful when making changes. Always remember that your site should benefit your users, not your ego. A website that looks fantastic but is difficult for users to navigate is no good. So, go ahead and redesign your site, but make sure you're doing it properly and for the right reasons.

I enjoyed adding new themes per season. Kept it fresh, along with contests and cute member icons for members as well as special treats for the season. Maybe once a year getting a new custom theme if possible. Redesigning the layout of the forum sections also helps because it is a living and breathing thing and can change depending on what the members are really participating on. I would only do that every 6 months-ish, unless there is a lot of needed change right at the beginning.

I won't mention names, but someone I know appeared to be absolutely hell-bent on constantly changing not only the site's design, but the name of the community, and the software it ran on. Each time they were convinced that doing so would increase traffic.

For me, the community completely lost any sense of identity it may have had. It seemed like a complete waste of resources..

I won't mention names, but someone I know appeared to be absolutely hell-bent on constantly changing not only the site's design, but the name of the community, and the software it ran on. Each time they were convinced that doing so would increase traffic.

For me, the community completely lost any sense of identity it may have had. It seemed like a complete waste of resources..
I feel like I know two or three people over the years that fit that particular description. I wonder if they are the same.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor