Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

The Value of Acquiring Older Domains: To Redirect or Not to Your Existing Community?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
I've been diving deep into the world of domain investing and one strategy that seems to pique my interest is the acquisition of older domains. It's undeniable that domain names have a history and value, but how much of that can be translated into tangible benefits for an existing community? I've bought several domains before, and even some old niche related ones to Admin Junkies. Have I seen traffic improvement? Not really.

There are a few key points I've been pondering:

1. SEO Benefits: Older domains often come with a backlink profile. By redirecting them, could we potentially boost our site's authority?
  2. Trust Factor: An older domain might have an inherent trust, both from a human and search engine perspective. Can this lead to a higher level of trust for our community?
  3. Traffic & Branding: Some of these domains may still receive a decent amount of direct traffic. Additionally, if the domain name aligns well with our community's theme or subject, could it further strengthen our brand's image?
  4. Potential Risks: What are the potential downsides? I've read about issues with 'bad neighborhoods' or previous penalties. How do we assess and mitigate these risks?
  5. Cost vs. Benefit: Given the potential cost associated with acquiring an older domain, does the return on investment make sense? Especially in cases where the domain might be priced high due to its age or previous popularity.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Have any of you purchased and redirected older domains to your existing communities? If so, what has your experience been like? Do you believe there's true value in doing so, or is it more of a gamble?

If you are acquiring an older domain primarily for its established traffic, it should be closely related to the niche you plan to redirect it to. This is especially
important if you are paying a premium price for it.
I wouldn't recommend acquiring a domain solely for its traffic. The domain should meet other criteria as well

If you are acquiring an older domain primarily for its established traffic, it should be closely related to the niche you plan to redirect it to. This is especially
important if you are paying a premium price for it.
I wouldn't recommend acquiring a domain solely for its traffic. The domain should meet other criteria as well
Yeah unless you can get it at when it’s dropped and at regular registration price it’s not worth a premium, maybe it is if it’s a direct competitor.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest