Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

The issue of the temporary worker

In my former country, where open-ended employment turned a quite mere pipe dream since more than a decade, temporary jobs is the rule and citizen could be considered lucky if they find one, cause very high unemployment rate. I don't see issue talking about temporary jobs: even at the end of the season and the temporary job, this latter constitutes experience to get hired for the next temporary job and so on. This is becoming tendency among various countries: as time pass by, open-ended employment is turning more and more scarce here and there, leaving its place to temporary jobs.

Advertisement Placeholder
Well, in reply to your question in the above post concerning the issue of temporary workers, well in my country they aren't called temps like they are in your country, they are rather called contract workers here and operate for a duration of 3-9 months

In my country those temporal workers are called casual workers or part-time workers as they will only be employed in the company for a very short period of time or on a contract basis.

Temporary workers isn't a new thing as it has always been and would still be, they have their own work within a company, and provided companies still need such services they would still be available

Temp workers are mostly called on when there is a contract and it is only for a specific period of time. Which means once there is no contract, there would no pay that month. And they dont enjoy the benefits permanent staffs enjoy

Temporary workers or contract workers are those being employed for certain period of time to handle some work for the company or business. Most common temporary workers are sales rep or customers attendant.

They are called adhoc staff in my country. Most businesses uses adhoc staff to help support the main staff when there is a lot of work that the company must meet up with the deadline, they employ more hands for that period to get it done and dismisses them after the completion of the job.

Is my country this is possible because you can hire some people to work for you for a particular month or even a few months and it also depends on the agreement is that is being made between the two parties, but sometimes if the temporary employers is perfect then it should be used as an official worker in an organisation.
Your publication is correct, in the case that a temporary worker is hired, and he/she qualifies as excellent, he/she has the opportunity to keep the job. This is how it works in different companies in my country, they do not hire directly until they prove the quality and efficiency of the worker.

Your publication is correct, in the case that a temporary worker is hired, and he/she qualifies as excellent, he/she has the opportunity to keep the job. This is how it works in different companies in my country, they do not hire directly until they prove the quality and efficiency of the worker.
Seriously with this strategy a company can use it to select the best employee for their business, because this will help them to select the type of people that will be capable of doing the business, has this ever happened to you before ?

I have a different experience with this temp worker @Alexandoy in most developed countries expert employees get at least 4 times as much pay as the permanent ones. I am not sure about all but at least in technology, there is a difference of 1:4 or even more. The Temps gets paid on an hourly basis (40 hours a week + overtime if applicable). Most tech experts prefer jobs on a contract basis, their contracts get renewed on yearly basis.

Seriously with this strategy a company can use it to select the best employee for their business, because this will help them to select the type of people that will be capable of doing the business, has this ever happened to you before ?
In fact it is something that we apply in my workplace, so we have a great team, that despite some differences, I believe that everyone is very qualified to perform their duties.

In fact it is something that we apply in my workplace, so we have a great team, that despite some differences, I believe that everyone is very qualified to perform their duties.
In any organisation there might be some problem, there might be different of opinions. But when we work in a organisation, having teamspirit and overall enthusiasm while doing work is very important.

The way temporary or adhoc staff are hire in my country is more convenient because all conditions of engagement are stated , some temporary staff could stay up to 1 year while some spend days depending on the nature of the job

The one and only biggest challenges of have your staff to be temporary workers is that it will keep your business from being stable over a long period of time which is stressful.

In any organisation there might be some problem, there might be different of opinions. But when we work in a organisation, having teamspirit and overall enthusiasm while doing work is very important.
Exactly, working as a team with the same purpose will ensure the success of the company. As you describe, there will always be discrepancies, but by joining forces, there will be nothing to prevent the company from reaching its goal.

The one and only biggest challenges of have your staff to be temporary workers is that it will keep your business from being stable over a long period of time which is stressful.
You are very correct. Temporary workers are most times not professional workers as they only work for a short period of time. They cannot keep your business from being stable if you have permanent workers that works with you.

Nice, is really nice you have experience on so many things, I'm always constantly checking your comment because I've been learning one thing or the other from you, its nice, when are you coming over here to Nigeria to come and see us ?

There is now a growing trend among people who are temporary workers because the companies see it as much cheaper to give them one off gigs them full staff.

You are very correct. Temporary workers are most times not professional workers as they only work for a short period of time. They cannot keep your business from being stable if you have permanent workers that works with you.

Exactly, they are just in there for the money that they are to be paid. There is no form of loyalty from them and they can easily commit fraud with your business and disappear.

Temporary workers are highly welcome in business. Their roles really help business to have its stand in the long run. If permanent workers try to absent or there's a lot work on them, they help to relieve them of their duty.

They are called Temps which means they are not regular employees who are qualified for benefits. The usual tenure of Temps is 5 months because a worker that stays with a company for 6 months is automatically considered a regular employee. Now the problem of the Temps is they are hired as temps to handle regular jobs like the fast food cashier or attendant. Temps are only for emergency positions. Until now that issue is pending although our president is for the abolition of the Temps category.
I don't know why there should be something like that in a work place,when you are been giving a job, you will be happy that you have a job not knowing is for the main time or period. Is a sad one if I must comment.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds