Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🔒 Security The Importance of Strong Passwords

For threads on securing websites and protecting against vulnerabilities.

Jason

Royal member
Bronze Member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
For admins, it could keep a hacking from happening. In fact, I've seen a forum hacked and destroyed and it wasn't from it being free software (opinion).

Well, what kind of passwords do you use?

I use a different password on every single forum I join and on all of my own forums. I used to make this mistake and had to change a bunch of different passwords since one account got compromised. I quickly learned my lesson.

combined a couple of the generated ones to have 16+ seems to be a good strategy
I use a different password on every single forum I join and on all of my own forums. I used to make this mistake and had to change a bunch of different passwords since one account got compromised. I quickly learned my lesson.
Agreed different passwords a must I too learned that way.

For admins, it could keep a hacking from happening. In fact, I've seen a forum hacked and destroyed and it wasn't from it being free software (opinion).

Well, what kind of passwords do you use?
Nothing special, but they are 10-12 character computer generated... but I do use YubiKey's to access my sites as an admin as an added level of protection..

I use a password manager, all my passwords for EVERY website are different and at least 20+ characters long. Also I have started using email alias and multiple email addresses etc. for some websites for extra security.

I would highly recommend a password manager - yes it does create a point of attack with all your passwords in one place, however because you have a different password for every website that means if a site leaks data or is hacked and they get your email and password they are then suddenly not going to have access to every website you have used with the same password and login. DO NOT use the same damn login and password for all your websites! If you have a look into lots of the major hacks in the past its come from people using the same username/email and password for multiple sites.

password managers: https://www.techlore.tech/resources

passsssssss.PNG

Doesn't matter how strong your passwords are they find ways to hack into your account and poop it all anyway. Seen that happen so many times, even on Steam. Many people had their Steam account hacked and it's as simple as clicking on a URL link. End of the day you can have everything set up and still not work, it slows them down that's all it does.

I have many passwords but I tend to keep the same, that being said I have my ACP locked with a password also via the web server ;) PLus most of us use Chrome or edge that ends up remembering what out login details are and so if you end up getting your PC stolen they end up having all of your passwords and every website they have gotten into.

Doesn't matter how strong your passwords are they find ways to hack into your account and poop it all anyway. Seen that happen so many times, even on Steam. Many people had their Steam account hacked and it's as simple as clicking on a URL link. End of the day you can have everything set up and still not work, it slows them down that's all it does.

I have many passwords but I tend to keep the same, that being said I have my ACP locked with a password also via the web server ;) PLus most of us use Chrome or edge that ends up remembering what out login details are and so if you end up getting your PC stolen they end up having all of your passwords and every website they have gotten into.

A password manager has to be logged into every time you start the browser, or if your computer goes to sleep you have to log in also every time. On my mobile if I literally go out of the password manager I have to log in, if I shut my screen down I have to log back in, inactivity time out of 60 seconds, its reasonably robust form of security for passwords if you set it up properly. My master password is in a safe in a bank so that if I die my family can get into my password manager, I have also memorized this password which is more then 18 but less then 25 random letters, numbers and symbols long... good luck hacking that.

If you "tend to keep the same" password you are inviting potential trouble IMHO.

I'm pretty bad at using the same or similar passwords on forums I register just so I can remember the password. For example, boards I'm doing post exchanges or content bundles for I'll usually use the same password in case I ever do an exchange/bundle for them again. I don't see the need to add multitudes of forums which I'll barely use to my password manager. I suppose I could utilize the save password manager for the web browser itself, but I've never really looked into it. I'll probably need to find some way to beef up security for my message board accounts. More important accounts of mine have a unique, complex password and sometimes I use 2FA as well with the account.

I'm pretty bad at using the same or similar passwords on forums I register just so I can remember the password. For example, boards I'm doing post exchanges or content bundles for I'll usually use the same password in case I ever do an exchange/bundle for them again. I don't see the need to add multitudes of forums which I'll barely use to my password manager. I suppose I could utilize the save password manager for the web browser itself, but I've never really looked into it. I'll probably need to find some way to beef up security for my message board accounts. More important accounts of mine have a unique, complex password and sometimes I use 2FA as well with the account.
Same. I’m very lazy and I use the same password on most sites. I should probably change my password on my most-used sites but for all the ones I’m not really active on, it’s an unnecessary precaution.

A password manager has to be logged into every time you start the browser, or if your computer goes to sleep you have to log in also every time. On my mobile if I literally go out of the password manager I have to log in, if I shut my screen down I have to log back in, inactivity time out of 60 seconds, its reasonably robust form of security for passwords if you set it up properly. My master password is in a safe in a bank so that if I die my family can get into my password manager, I have also memorized this password which is more then 18 but less then 25 random letters, numbers and symbols long... good luck hacking that.

If you "tend to keep the same" password you are inviting potential trouble IMHO.
Someone will find away to hack into the password manager and then once they have - you are pooped. I mean how good is it really :p

Someone will find away to hack into the password manager and then once they have - you are pooped. I mean how good is it really :p
I have never heard of a password manager (mainstream) getting hacked... not yet anyway. But of course you cant reduce your risk 100%.

In fact, I've seen a forum hacked
I've seen forums hacked, free and paid, and inevitably weak passwords are the most common culprit.

Incidentally one of those was a forum hosted by a security company that chose to blame the software rather than their own poor practices.

Just listening to a podcast today and they were talking about password managers and then mentioned something I just never thought of before but its so simple and makes total sense...

Anyway use your password manager as per normal but at the END of every different password you have put the same random 6 letter combo, and make sure you remember the 6 combo letters. When saving passwords in the password manager save it without the 6 letter combo. So if your password manager did get hacked properly and had access to all your passwords none would actually work without the "Secret" 6 letters at the end of the passwords...

You can still easily auto fill then just type your secret password letters into the field at the end.

This is brilliant, dunno why I never thought of it, and gives you another level of security for your passwords.

Just listening to a podcast today and they were talking about password managers and then mentioned something I just never thought of before but its so simple and makes total sense...

Anyway use your password manager as per normal but at the END of every different password you have put the same random 6 letter combo, and make sure you remember the 6 combo letters. When saving passwords in the password manager save it without the 6 letter combo. So if your password manager did get hacked properly and had access to all your passwords none would actually work without the "Secret" 6 letters at the end of the passwords...

You can still easily auto fill then just type your secret password letters into the field at the end.

This is brilliant, dunno why I never thought of it, and gives you another level of security for your passwords.
It is brilliant! I'll need to start doing this myself. :D

Just what you used to that makes us what we do now... I mean people trust it other don't or don't like the idea

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest