Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

Human beings differs, some are careful most especially with official items while others are careless about how they handle it. An employee who damages a company's tool or any item should be sanctioned and given a strict warning but if such incident reoccurs then the penalty fees for the damages should be deducted from his or her salary.

Advertisement Placeholder
If employee is mistakenly damage it or didn't know when the incident happen I don't think that he can pay for it, but if actually the employee knows he can pay for it.

It depends on the situations and the cost of what the employee damages. If an employee damages a property by accident, then it is not right to ask the employee to pay for it. Although i have heard of cases where money will be deducted from their salaries and waves.

This depends on what it is in the contract between the employee and the company owner. If it has been stated in the contract that the employee will pay for damages, there is no other way than to pay for any damages by the worker.

No I don't support the notion that employees should pay for damages, especially if such damages were accidental. However, most business owners usually deduct salaries of employees because of damages.

An analysis of the clauses in a contract of employment may reveal that the employee had a “duty of care” towards company property. Failure to meet this duty could be a specific offence within the company’s disciplinary procedure allowing the possibility of instant dismissal for gross misconduct. In this event, the company would not pay salary in lieu of notice and could reserve that money against the losses incurred. If such a clause does not exist in your company’s employment contracts, it may be worthwhile considering an addition for future employees.

I think this should be based on the contract between the employer and the employee. If it has been stated in the job contract that the employee will pay for damages and he or she signed it. Such a worker will definitely pay for any damages that occur in the workplace

It's depends on how and what happened, issues or damages that were done mistaken should be ignored while those done out of carelessness and neglect should be paid for

In the right sense if things, I think the company should take responsible the damage that occurred in the company. Safety should be one of the priority of the company for the workers. But if the damage is done out of carelessness, and it happens repeatedly the worker should be responsible for it.

Well if an employee damages something then the costs for repair should be taken from his or her salary and this is way to discipline them so they will be very careful nextime

The reason to pay for a damage by an employee, depends on the kind of damage in question. some damages are seen or considered intentional and some are not intentional. the intentional are expected to be paid by the employee.

If the equipment is damaged by accident, of course it will not ask for compensation from the employee, but will give a warning to be more careful in the future, but if the equipment damage is intentional, it will not only ask for compensation but will fire the employee.

Smaller damage should be handled by the business and sometime if the person did it as a mistake then the company should understand and give a warning and forget . except it is a serious mistake and also when it involves large amounts of money.

The cost of damages should be deducted from employees monthly salary. I see nothing bad in it. I mean everyone should be responsible for each of their actions either intentional or by mistakes .
I thnk that should be after some repeated warning and the employee refuse to take caution,if it is as a result of mistake while carrying out his duty,he should be pardoned and given a second chance.

If he or she mistakely damage the equipment their is no need to pay but if it happens intentionally then they must pay, remember is not a mistake to make a mistake but it's a mistake to repeat same mistake.

Though, it's cool if you include it in your organization rules and regulations that anyone that breaks or damages So that all employees would be very careful on handling of various items in the organization. But I can wave some off depending on the situation

The payment of damages, by an employee, depends on the kind of damages and also the condition of the damages. there are some damages which may occur out of negligence and a care free attitude towards property for that an employee is expected to pay in other to learn his mistakes immediately.

Yes they should pay if they caused the damages. I see no reasons why business owners should bear that burden of paying for damages - it'll increase the cost of production and reduce profits which isn't a good thing.

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or act of negligence
I understand that accident happens. But maybe the first time the employee should be pardoned. After that subsequently, they should pay, so they can be more careful

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds