Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

Most companies will always ask that they pay but sometimes it is not really necessary if it is a minor issue, they should only pay if they are damaging something serious.

Advertisement Placeholder
Human beings differs, some are careful most especially with official items while others are careless about how they handle it. An employee who damages a company's tool or any item should be sanctioned and given a strict warning but if such incident reoccurs then the penalty fees for the damages should be deducted from his or her salary.
It isn't wrong to make employees pay for damages they incurred. I would make deductions from the salary of any employee who damages my business property.

Paying for damages by the employee depends in the work settings of the organisation , and it also depends on the properties that was damaged , some company dont do that.

This depends on the level of damage done and it can be deducted from the employee salary if it would affect the company and if they can afford to pay for it outrightly when the damage was done.

Normally paying for damages depend on the damage done in the comoany and also in the damage done , but normally since you are working directly working for the company , charges should not be taken.

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
straight up no because a boss should take care about his employee and not do anything to lead them to quit.

This is a particular argument that usually goes about 4 hours whenever it is being brought up . I believe that it is depending on the kind of damages and how it of done if not it should be shared or paid.

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages the equipment, he or she cannot claim the price for the replacement equipment. An accident occurs. Damage is treated as a project cost. Employees can only be asked to pay for damaged equipment if the damage is caused intentionally or by mistake.

This is a particular argument that usually goes about 4 hours whenever it is being brought up . I believe that it is depending on the kind of damages and how it of done if not it should be shared or paid.
In a normal work settings , there should be a rule and regulations guiding thes kind of things , and I believe that paying for damages should be done depending on the damages done.

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or act of negligence
There can also be some unforeseen events that can be able to happen in a business and which might result in losses and it is going to be completely unfair for you to charge the employee for that.

A company policy should not always be harsh on the workers because there are sometimes when there may be damages due to some unforseen circumstances that might lead to the damages.
There can also be some unforeseen events that can be able to happen in a business and which might result in losses and it is going to be completely unfair for you to charge the employee for that.

An employee should have an insurance company for such cases, he can pay to an insurance company monthly and when such a thing suddenly happens he can send them the payment and they will pay either fully or part of the payment depending on the type of the company and on the type of a deal this person has with that company. If an employee doesn't has an insurance company then he is in a problem and indeed he has to pay for that damage if it too chronic, as of breaking a door or an air conditioner.
But if they ruined something tiny and unimportant as of a meal in a restaurant and it doesn't happen to them often then they shouldn't pay, because accidents happen after all we are human beings.

In some cases it is possible as the employee has an insurance then insurance will pay part of the money for damaged item if it is due to lack of attention of employee.

It will depend on the damage , but mostly all employees must try to be careful that they do not break rules by damaging a product. If this is something simple I'll just swept it under the carpet as I business owner, after all no one is above mistake. But the case may be different if this is something huge

In some certain situations , some employees always intentionally break or destroy the companies properties and must pay for it but their are some unintentional accidents that happens that doesn't warrant the employee refunding the destroyed property.

In some certain situations , some employees always intentionally break or destroy the companies properties and must pay for it but their are some unintentional accidents that happens that doesn't warrant the employee refunding the destroyed property.
Well, I wouldn't want to be believe that an employee would want to deliberately destroy equipment or tools at a workplace. However, if it has been established that such damages were caused as a result of negligence on the employee's part, then the affected individual should pay for it.

There are some kind of occurrences that happened just as accidents and it is going to be completely unfair to ask them to pay completely for it but instead you should be considerate and play some.

Most of the time , damages at work comes became of accident , but some also comes due to mismanagement and mishandling of the companies properties and that should be dealt with to avoid future occurences.
Well, I wouldn't want to be believe that an employee would want to deliberately destroy equipment or tools at a workplace. However, if it has been established that such damages were caused as a result of negligence on the employee's part, then the affected individual should pay for it.

Personally I would not require my employees to pay for damaged equipment at work because the business can cover the losses incurred in the damaged equipment.
Also the employee might have accidentally broke the equipment while at work.

Most of the time , damages at work comes became of accident , but some also comes due to mismanagement and mishandling of the companies properties and that should be dealt with to avoid future occurences.
I understand your point. That's why I'm saying employees should pay for damages if happened due to their negligence when carrying out their assigned tasks.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds