Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Retrenchment at workplace

There is definitely no way around it. If I felt the retrenchment is for the best interest of the business, I definitely will have to give the letter but in an appropriate manner. Though, I understand that it would hit really hard on the employee because it is a devastating news. But I'll rather make decisions that are best for the business success
Retrenchment at work place normally affects most of the employee because they were not given a prior notice, so it's better do the owner of the company to come clean and open up concerning the situation of the company to the employee.

Advertisement Placeholder
Regardless of the situation, they should find ways to inform their staffs before time. Some people will fall into depression for such things.

The pandemic really showed its ugly head in this aspect. I don't wish to be in such situations where I'll lay off my staff without any valid allegations rather I'll slash their wages and anyone who wishes to quit can go ahead!

Regardless of the situation, they should find ways to inform their staffs before time. Some people will fall into depression for such things.
I agree with your opinion @Bousine123, it should be communicated in time, the most correct is to draw attention to the cause of dismissal is for breach of the worker and if it is due to business problems, it should be communicated 15 working days before the date of dismissal.

There is no other way you would go around this than the usual way it is done which the entire members of staff would have already known the reason why this has to happen

There is no how to hide things kind situation than to call employees and let them know what going and what to happen. Employees will have already know the situation of economy. So, employer with tell them in polite way.

There is no how to hide things kind situation than to call employees and let them know what going and what to happen. Employees will have already know the situation of economy. So, employer with tell them in polite way.
Retrenchment without prior notice is a very bad thing that normally happens to employees at work, the employee would have already known this matter but will decided not to update the staff.

Sometimes I don't think I'll be bold enough to do this. I might just send them an email or get my manager to do it.
I really don't like to see people lose their means of livelihood and I'll only do so if all other ways have failed.

Assuming there is a major economic downturn in the the economy, most companies won't have any other choice but to lay off some workers to be able to stay afloat.

This decision is always going to be a very difficult decision for the company to take. Now let's say this is your company and you have no choice but to lay off some of these staffs that you are so fond of,how will you break this news to this workers to lessen the effect of this devastating news?
Yes. I would break the news to them.
But I would do it by calling my staff together and explaining the situation of things to them. They may not be happy, sure thing, but I am sure they would understand the reason for my doing so.

Sometimes I don't think I'll be bold enough to do this. I might just send them an email or get my manager to do it.
I really don't like to see people lose their means of livelihood and I'll only do so if all other ways have failed.
I know what people are facing in the work nowadays , people are shouting about unemployment andni don't think its the right thing to do retrenching workers without giving them at least two months notice,

Yeah of course. I think employees need to realise that they can't work with a company forever and they need to have a back up plan. We have this things happen over and over. Most times the employees sacked are displeased.

I pray that when i decide to go into business, i would never experience such thing. This would be a really heartbreaking news to tell but there's nothing that can be done about it. The employees just have to know about it.

Assuming there is a major economic downturn in the the economy, most companies won't have any other choice but to lay off some workers to be able to stay afloat.

This decision is always going to be a very difficult decision for the company to take. Now let's say this is your company and you have no choice but to lay off some of these staffs that you are so fond of,how will you break this news to this workers to lessen the effect of this devastating news?
I don't really think that there is any better way to say this that is not going to be painful for the employees who are going to be relieved of their jobs just like what happened during the outbreak of the pandemic of coronavirus a lot of people were heartbroken.

I don't know if there is any better way to say it than to just say it, cause no matter how you sugar quote it, the fact still remains the same that the person just lost their job, I think the best thing to do would be to tell them on time so they can prepare.

I think even the workers will know what is at stake when this happens so I don't think I have any other option than to lay off some them to get over the retrenchment overtime, I will also use the time to think about what next
People will always be sacked from their workplaces which is why I believe that's whenever you are working for any business or company you should always have a back-up plan in case the date of your sack is due.

I would prefer to talk to the concerned employees individually behind closed doors. I'll likely begin by explaining the company's situation and why it has arrived at the decision to lay off some employees. Of course, it will also be the time to assure these people that there will be some compensation and separation pay as provided by laws and as stipulated in company policies. If there were friendships and camaraderie formed during their stay with the company, there's no reason why it shouldn't continue when they are no longer part of it.​

There are companies that doesn't care about their workers , they lack human feelings because they should at least be informing their workers about retrenchment at least three month before it happens so they can have a back up plan.
People will always be sacked from their workplaces which is why I believe that's whenever you are working for any business or company you should always have a back-up plan in case the date of your sack is due.

There's no easy way to break such news but still needs to be done, I for one would make them see reason why it has to be done so as to mitigate the blow and give them hope too that it's not about them and they are great employees

There was aplace I once worked,all the staff were summoned on and a letter was issued to all staff in that organization saying that our appointment have been terminated

this is exactly how I will pass on the retrenchment notice.
A friend of mine actually had the same experience when they are bugs called him and told a lot of them that they are not going to be need a new set of faces to replace the old ones.

When it comes to business and how an organisation is been run,it is usually detatch from any sentiment,or else the business would crumble,so if the wage bill is becoming inadequate to meet,the best thing to do is to explain to the workers that it will affect in an understanding manner.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds