Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

InvisionPowerBoard 1.4

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
I've stumbled upon a free forum host that's stuck in the ice age. You're able to register a working IPB 1.4 forum. So out of nostalgia I decided to register one.

1697146184035.png

1697146255175.png

Oh wow that's definitely a blast from the past! Though it looks like a lot of the forums listed on their directory are no longer online.

Oh wow that's definitely a blast from the past! Though it looks like a lot of the forums listed on their directory are no longer online.
Yep, it's most likely abandoned but paid for many years in advance. I don't know. Still, cool to see and brings back a lot of memories from during our times on InvisionFree 20 years ago. There's loads of skins ready to be imported and that was cool to watch too. It's amazing how the internet and IPB has evolved to what we are using today.

Ah, The struggles of free-hosted forums! I remember using one of these for a community I used to run back in the day. Then I wised up and went to a paid hosting and free forum script (at the time)

I started out on InvisionFree. That brings back memories.

Man IPB going paid was such a crap move and honestly I don't think IPB is really any better these days. It's way too bloated, then again I never dabbled administrative wise on ipb 4.

Man IPB going paid was such a crap move and honestly I don't think IPB is really any better these days. It's way too bloated, then again I never dabbled administrative wise on ipb 4.
It all comes down to personal preference. I loved InvisionFree, even dabbed for a while into a self hosted 1.3 forum. I also just learned that IPB 1.3 is still available for download. I downloaded a copy and will most likely try and get it running at some point. Will be fun to look into.

Wow... that brings back memories of my time using Invisionfree and SpreeBB back in the day. IPB came a long way from those days.

Wow... that brings back memories of my time using Invisionfree and SpreeBB back in the day. IPB came a long way from those days.
Can't believe you just said SpreeBB... That name also brings back memories, damnit.

And if it hadn’t gone paid, it would have disappeared entirely because that was how its developers were able to keep working on it.

I had the third highest ranked board overall in Spreebb's directory and number one overall for anime in that category of their directory. Spreebb was a great host and it was a shame when it shut down. They were similar to IF in a lot of ways but two ways I fondly remember were different was that Spreebb had a functioning skin changer and had the ability for an admin to send a mass pm to everyone on the board.

I had the third highest ranked board overall in Spreebb's directory and number one overall for anime in that category of their directory. Spreebb was a great host and it was a shame when it shut down. They were similar to IF in a lot of ways but two ways I fondly remember were different was that Spreebb had a functioning skin changer and had the ability for an admin to send a mass pm to everyone on the board.
Yep. I remember having a graphics forum on SpreeBB.

And if it hadn’t gone paid, it would have disappeared entirely because that was how its developers were able to keep working on it.
Yeah I get the buisiness aspect of it. It is a shame they couldnt have come up with a different business model.

Yeah I get the buisiness aspect of it. It is a shame they couldnt have come up with a different business model.
They did, they had to because their original business model - free for people, supported by the paid folks - has too many freeloaders.

Thats why they went all-paid, otherwise they’d have gone under. This was 20 years ago, so no chance of Patreon etc. making that happen and even then, the odds Patreon would provide them enough to grow to their current size, basically nil.

They did, they had to because their original business model - free for people, supported by the paid folks - has too many freeloaders.

Thats why they went all-paid, otherwise they’d have gone under. This was 20 years ago, so no chance of Patreon etc. making that happen and even then, the odds Patreon would provide them enough to grow to their current size, basically nil.
I was saying a different model than what they have now, not what they had then.

It probably wasn't possible back then or even now but the value just isn't there IMO. All the features added are nice but completely unnecessary. I haven't been to a modern IPB forum and felt it was better than other software that's out there.

What they have now is a direct result of what they had then failing to work because of all the freeloaders.

And since what they have now has worked for 20 years, why change?

They might have been a donor back in the day; some people did pay for IPB even then (but not enough to keep it viable, hence 2.0 going paid only)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor