Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

đź’¬ Platform Discussion Introducing Community Hive

Dedicated to updates, news, and discussions related to the community software platform like Invision Community, WoltLab, XenForo, and others. This helps us in organizing and centralizing all relevant information in one thread.
Well, like I said before. Seeing more than 40% still runs on 7.4, they don’t want to force anyone going to 8 or above. Even some add on’s don’t work on 8.
Well it's either force it or just be ok with people running unsupported, out of date, insecure software. Personally I could not sleep at night. I also feel you have a duty to your clients to ensure things are up to date, secure, and supported. Imagine if there were an issue and our client found out we were just "oh well" about running out of date platform technology. We would be in a world of trouble.

But then we actually update our software and actually update our clients so I guess we think different ;)

Indeed, it is a bit worrying. But then again, we haven't seen proper updates in over a year too. :unsure:

We looked into this but we cannot in good conscience support PHP 7. As PHP 7 is end of life and no longer receiving security updates, it will be inappropriate for us to go down that path. We take security and privacy seriously and just cannot support that approach.

We will be providing an update soon for PHP8 that fixes remaining issues.

Right well, I was able to upgrade to 8.2 after a bit of trial and error. Reinstalled the add on. Should be good now. :D

Damn, should get them to upgrade to PHP 8 then :p

Everyone start singing the petition
Already griped about over on the XF site... seems they still have about 20-40% of their license base stuck on PHP 7.4 or older (a lot of sites still running XF 1.5 in those stats) that either can't upgrade to a newer version because they are using cheap hosting that "doesn't allow it", they are running an older version of XenForo that does not support PHP 8.x (XenForo allows you to download your software up to the point of when your license expired, unlike IPS that removes all old versions from download), or they are simply to lazy/ignorant to do such.
XF really needs to move their base PHP version up to 8.0 at the oldest instead of keeping PHP 7.4 ability in the current script for backwards compatibility. With the lack of folks renewing their licenses right now due to very little forward movement with the script, it's probably a noticeable segment of their income stream.

Already griped about over on the XF site... seems they still have about 20-40% of their license base stuck on PHP 7.4 or older (a lot of sites still running XF 1.5 in those stats) that either can't upgrade to a newer version because they are using cheap hosting that "doesn't allow it", they are running an older version of XenForo that does not support PHP 8.x (XenForo allows you to download your software up to the point of when your license expired, unlike IPS that removes all old versions from download), or they are simply to lazy/ignorant to do such.
XF really needs to move their base PHP version up to 8.0 at the oldest instead of keeping PHP 7.4 ability in the current script for backwards compatibility. With the lack of folks renewing their licenses right now due to very little forward movement with the script, it's probably a noticeable segment of their income stream.
Many like are in place that it it's not broken not upgrade

Many like are in place that it it's not broken not upgrade
If they are running on 1.5, then they are running OLD code that is not maintained, that most of them don't know HOW to maintain and running a LAMP stack that is severely outdated.... ALL security issues. Honestly... if I go to a site now and see it's still on XF 1.5, I won't join... I don't care how interesting it is.
Then you have the opposite extreme that want to force XenForo to work under PHP 8.2/8.3..... and the developers have even said it's not ready for prime time under it. They recommend 8.1 at the highest.

My bad, I was still running the RC version. Updated the add on and the follow seems to be working perfectly, @V0RT3X ;)

Well, like I said before. Seeing more than 40% still runs on 7.4, they don’t want to force anyone going to 8 or above. Even some add on’s don’t work on 8.
Wonder what’s having everyone stuck on upgrading?

Can't say, I think most don't really bother to push for a more recent php version as they just want to maintain their forum, nothing too technical behind it.

The IPS ecosystem tends to be much tighter.

You can only download the latest, you only receive support on the latest, admins are reminded in the AdminCP if you're not on the latest.

Many are stuck on lower end shared hosting providers that apparently refuse to upgrade their PHP... others simply don't know HOW to upgrade the PHP via their panel setup... so they stick with what is "default".

I've had issues with installing CH... and have found some quirks on my install of it - the main one being that the options are only available from the Add-ons tab and not from the Community Hive link in the ACP (which apparently for activation.

Glad you like it. We have been doing a lot of behind the scenes update to the algorithms to better guess the types of communities you might like to see.

Hopefully you can get some of the other problems fixed. I removed the add-on and dropped the accounts over there... and now when I try to install the add-on again it does fine... but apparently it's still stuck on using the first user account email, and then even when signing in with that account I can't see my CH settings. I've given up on it for now.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor