Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

💬 Platform Discussion If you were starting a new community what software would you use?

Dedicated to updates, news, and discussions related to the community software platform like Invision Community, WoltLab, XenForo, and others. This helps us in organizing and centralizing all relevant information in one thread.

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Starting a new community is an exciting endeavor, but one of the crucial decisions you'll face is selecting the right software to build and manage your platform. With a plethora of options available, it can be a challenging task. So, if you were starting a new community what software would you use?

Share your thoughts and insights on the various platforms you've considered or used. Are you a fan of tried-and-true solutions like WordPress, phpBB, or vBulletin, or are you more inclined towards modern, feature-rich options like Discourse, NodeBB, or maybe XenForo? Perhaps you're thinking outside the box with custom-built solutions or even social media-based communities?

Consider the needs and goals of your audience and thus community. Are you aiming for a discussion forum, a content-driven platform, or a hybrid of various features? What about scalability, customization, and ease of use? How do you plan to handle security and data privacy concerns?

So, if you were starting a new community today, which software would you choose and why?

Regular forum... probably a toss-up between XF and IPS (depending on what first party stuff I needed)

Roleplay forum... Fabularna (when it's ready)

I would naturally head straight for Invision. They are leading the pack today. If I was considering the cloud I might also try Mighty Networks. They are the real competition although it's bland and lacks customization. I might also dabble with Woltlab as the development and apps seem to be active over there.

IMO, everything else has just fell too far behind.

If I was to open a new forum I'd either go with Woltlab again or Xenforo. If money was an issue, I'd go with a free option like perhaps Elkeart or SMF.

I would more than likely go with IC as I have a decent amount of experience with them, and they are actively keeping the software up to date. Would also have Mighty Networks in the back pocket as well. I've used their service in the past and even though there's a big push for admins to sell sell sell, I still found it's overall community setup to be good.

If I started a board that I could afford and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I'd be 100% dedicated to it, I would probably go with Xenforo. It seems to have a lot of default features and a nice overall layout that gives the software great vibes. I don't see myself ever paying for forum software since I can't think of a board I could create that necessarily needs to be on paid software, but Xenforo seems like a nice choice if it were to ever come down to that decision.

I think I would still use Xenforo, but I would definitely take into consideration IPB. I know IPB has had many upgrades and plans as well. Cost wise I think Xenforo has always been the best option.

You have to compare features and what you might need for your specific community. For me I think Xenforo would be fine, but I could see how for some IPB might be better!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor