Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How many Rules on your Community?

I used to have short and quick ones, but they kinda grew over the years as situations came up that I hadn't accounted for :p .

Though, every now and then, I do try to condense them, and eliminate any that are no longer serving the purpose that they were designed for!

We just have a few guidelines per section, and that’s it. I’m depending on common sense mostly. :)

The board rules on my forum are pretty small, mainly telling people to abide by the forum software's TOS and some extras like advertising, account guidelines, and bypassing the word filter.

I have them as short and quick and possible.
I think rules and guidelines are a very important staple on forums, so they should be spelt out emphatically in order to make members aware from the get-go. Vague rules only instil uncertainty in members

I try to keep the rules as short as possible. I was on a huge site that not only had rules for the main board overall, but also each separate area had it's personal set of rules so it was very confusing for members. They didn't understand when they got a staff action why that happened and it was usually because the rule said they couldn't post there.

Flaming is the biggest rule violation on the Christian forum I run so mostly I try to get members to understand what that entails and what is acceptable.

When it comes to rules on a forum I try to keep them as small and straight to the point as possible so that they are easy to understand and are not a burden to read and remember. Having the basics such as respecting other members, not spamming, not being rude or abusive to staff members and members are some of the ones I always make sure are in there. I think with any forum it's best to get the most important rules in first so that members are aware of your rules, they should be pretty self explanatory though if your members frequent forums.

When it comes to rules on a forum I try to keep them as small and straight to the point as possible so that they are easy to understand and are not a burden to read and remember. Having the basics such as respecting other members, not spamming, not being rude or abusive to staff members and members are some of the ones I always make sure are in there. I think with any forum it's best to get the most important rules in first so that members are aware of your rules, they should be pretty self explanatory though if your members frequent forums.
As not to scare new members off from joining your community.

With Rapture, I never bothered to write any. I figured everyone knew basically how to conduct themselves around other people and anyone not acting in a proper way was doing it because they were an jerk looking to cause trouble. Nobody really bothers to read them unless they are looking for a way to skate around them. In the end, there was really only one unwritten but fairly clear rule that everyone knew from the start. If I didn't like something posted on the forum, I made it disappear and if someone keeps insisting on bringing it back then it would be them who disappear.

With Rapture, I never bothered to write any. I figured everyone knew basically how to conduct themselves around other people and anyone not acting in a proper way was doing it because they were an jerk looking to cause trouble. Nobody really bothers to read them unless they are looking for a way to skate around them. In the end, there was really only one unwritten but fairly clear rule that everyone knew from the start. If I didn't like something posted on the forum, I made it disappear and if someone keeps insisting on bringing it back then it would be them who disappear.
I agree with this. There aren't many rules here apart from some guidelines per section/service. And if I see something that's not in order or spam then I will delete it. I also agree with the part that some people are just there to cause trouble and are set to be chaotic, so it's in the best interest of the forum to just ban/remove them from the forum.

Not many at all honestly. I try not to make much rules outside of some of the obvious things. I want my community and forum to be a FUN place to join. Mods and even Admins will be instructed not to go trigger happy with bans or warnings.

I try to keep my rules and guidelines as short and simple as possible because I don't want to create a community that is riddled with specific and convoluted rules. I usually simply state that users should not post any content which is:
  • knowingly false or inaccurate.
  • hateful, defamatory, or abusive.
  • extremely vulgar or profane.
  • threatening or invasive of a person's privacy.
  • sexually oriented.
  • advertisement or spam.

I feel like it depends on the community, as a coding community we many rules, from various areas. There were a few that I started off with but as the community grew we added more rules.

If I am allowed, here is our Code of Conduct which contains our rules if you're interested.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor