Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How do you deal with bad grammar on your forum by members?

Heatman

Service Team
Service Team
Top Performer
Credits
The biggest challenge of having your forum contents full of bad is that it doesn't encourage people to stay long in the forum because they will not find it easy reading such contents.

What strategies can be used to reduce bad grammar flooding your forum contents? Would you have your moderators do the correction?

I once had to ask a certain member on my forum to stop posting because of poor language and grammar skills. can allow minor mistakes, but if the mistakes are grave, ask the member to stop posting,

I once had to ask a certain member on my forum to stop posting because of poor language and grammar skills. can allow minor mistakes, but if the mistakes are grave, ask the member to stop posting,
I always encourage my members to report such posts that are full of bad grammar. It helps to follow them up quickly especially if I happen to miss any of it.

If the errors are too much, I normally delete the posts.

The biggest challenge of having your forum contents full of bad is that it doesn't encourage people to stay long in the forum because they will not find it easy reading such contents.

What strategies can be used to reduce bad grammar flooding your forum contents? Would you have your moderators do the correction?
Bad grammar and lack of coherence in language can be a real disappointment on forums, without a doubt. This disables other readers from underrstanding the message that is being conveyed.

Yes for sure, I use to see some people posting or replying comments using bad Grammer or low trash quality post which is obvious.

I rarely run into users with bad grammar on the forums I've owned. I doubt I'd do much about it since they apparently don't know their language well enough or perhaps have a disability. I can understand it being a nuisance, but as long as you can semi-understand what the user is trying to say, I wouldn't be too bothered about it.

The problem with bad grammar leads to misunderstanding of what the member is trying to convey. On a site that has a lot of debate, that can lead to harsh words and even condescension. As an Admin, I like to respond to the person with the bad grammar in a way that I think the person is trying to write and ask if that's correct. That's usually helpful.

It's unfortunate that many people will come on forums and type in short form or just not bother to check their posts before they submit them and all too often, how to approach it can be the most difficult part. I found that having rules that me and my staff would enforce helped to keep bad grammar and bad spelling at bay. I always type with proper grammar and check my spelling before making any posts on a forum as I feel it just looks more professional to have posts that have good grammar than posts that have short forum such as "wyd" or "how r u" or "whatcha up 2?" those kinds of posts just anger me and make me feel like the person posting them doesn't have any regard for the forum.

Make rules regarding grammar, stick to them and enforce them if you need to. Obviously, I am a little more lenient when it comes to spelling mistakes as that can happen to anyone.

I feel as long as you are getting the message, it's not a matter of concern. If it's so bad that you are not able to understand what the user is trying to convey, it would be good to talk to him/her privately and give them tips to improve rather than asking them to stop posting. Simple suggestions like using a browser plug-in like grammarly or some youtube tutorials to get better can make a huge impact in not only the user's life but also in the forum as well.

I feel as long as you are getting the message, it's not a matter of concern. If it's so bad that you are not able to understand what the user is trying to convey, it would be good to talk to him/her privately and give them tips to improve rather than asking them to stop posting. Simple suggestions like using a browser plug-in like grammarly or some youtube tutorials to get better can make a huge impact in not only the user's life but also in the forum as well.
Exactly and remember, some members nay be dyslexic. You don’t wanna discriminate.

I’m not the best with grammar, or punctuation, but long blocky paragraphs with shit grammar and no punctuation to be seen for miles is just not attractive. In the age of technology you can at least end a sentence with a period. I dated a guy who didn’t use any grammar, didn’t even bother to turn on auto correct, and I don’t think he knew what a “period” was. Texting him was the most exhausting, painstaking thing I had to deal with. I hate it.

I’m not the best with grammar, or punctuation, but long blocky paragraphs with shit grammar and no punctuation to be seen for miles is just not attractive. In the age of technology you can at least end a sentence with a period. I dated a guy who didn’t use any grammar, didn’t even bother to turn on auto correct, and I don’t think he knew what a “period” was. Texting him was the most exhausting, painstaking thing I had to deal with. I hate it.
I hope he didn’t start on about women’s periods 🤣

I have a point in my guidelines about this kind of thing..there are people who simply are not the best at spelling or getting their point across. I wont tolerate users being ‘bullied’ for want of a better word because of that. As long as we get the gist..it’s fine

You deal with it by learning to live with it. Not everything can be fixed and it's best to learn how to deal with things you can't fix by ignoring things you could fix but choose not to so you can learn how to deal with the stuff you can't fix that would bother you if you haven't taught yourself how to live with it. As long as you can understand each other that's all that really matters.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor