Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Hierarchy vs 'Open door policy' businesses

BrolySSJ

The Legendary Super Saiyan
Credits
There are many companies that work on the hierarchy basis, whereby if you have an idea or a concern then there are channels that you have to follow in the chain of command in order for your idea to be heard by those in charge. There are other companies that employ an open door policy whereby if you have an idea you can easily just enter the office of one of the higher ranks in the company and pitch your idea to them if they are available. This promotes open communication and to a large extent, in my opinion, also provides a lot of motivation to the workers as well which is important in maintaining morale and ensuring high work quality.

Furthermore, sometimes running an idea up the chain of command can result in the idea either becoming distorted o stealing credit from the one that actually thought about it.

What is your opinion and preference on these two styles?

Advertisement Placeholder
Hierarchy policy business is definately the best. It’s well coordinated and very idea passes through chains of experienced personnel before being aired. Though this may limit the ideas shared and sometimes proper accreditation for ideo owner may not be well valued but it’s time saving. Time saving in the essence that the company focus on an idea without digressing too much on other ideas

Is it possible that the “open door policy” is harmful to managers and individual contributors alike? ... The theory states that an organization uses such openness to build a culture of trust, collaboration, communication and respect regardless of an individual's position in the hierarchy.

Weather hierarchy or open door they are both effective methods of managing. The most important thing is that they are effectively set up to bring out the best. Hierarchy helps maintain order and respect and open door creates a friendly environment.

Open Door Policy in Business. Businesses that wish to foster an environment of cooperation and respect between the senior management team and employees create open door policies. This policy leads to greater ...

In theory, any employee should be able to talk with any level of manager or any other employee about any subject at any time in any place. Philosophically, organizations that operate under the principle that all employees are equal; they just have different jobs, are most likely to adhere to a written or unspoken open door policy.

Well I think both styles are good, I just think the method of implementation of each companies differ, and if a company can utilise both, then that would be fantastic. I understand your point about ideas getting stolen when you run it up the chains of command. That is why I'm predisposed to both policies.

Both styles serve different functions and are both good. Some organizations require that it is structured in such a way as to information flow from top to bottom. While some requires a more democratic system for it to function well. I feel technological firms are more suited to democratic systems as they allow workers to be creative.

A successful and effective open door policy leaves the door open for more senior managers but provides guidelines that enable problem solving at every level of the organization. An effective open door policy provides the expectation that employees will resolve issues with their supervisor first.
[automerge]1612979323[/automerge]
Positive tool for problem solving An open door policy provides a vehicle for more senior managers to understand what is on the minds of employees when they do not communicate regularly. ... Instead, try to create ideas and solve problems. Use the tool positively and efficiently.

Last edited:
An idea ran through the chain of command might seriously get compromised, distorted and manipulated or out rightly stolen from the original inventor. A lot of scheming might even take place to have the owner of the idea eliminated reason of jealousy

Well the style of idea dissemination that I will with adopt would be the open system whereby anybody can walk into any one's office to tell them about their ideas. This is so that there will be an open communication that will promote idea sharing within the company and thereby improving the company in a way that is very good. The other method is quite rigid and not quite good for a company although those that thought of it wanted discipline at the workplace but at the end of the day it lead to slow flow of ideas in the business.

Both heirachy and open door policy are policies organisation use. Open door policy is more porous a there is free entry and free exit which makes hirachy better then open door as hirachy is strategic and Divi into levels

There are many companies that work on the hierarchy basis, whereby if you have an idea or a concern then there are channels that you have to follow in the chain of command in order for your idea to be heard by those in charge. There are other companies that employ an open door policy whereby if you have an idea you can easily just enter the office of one of the higher ranks in the company and pitch your idea to them if they are available. This promotes open communication and to a large extent, in my opinion, also provides a lot of motivation to the workers as well which is important in maintaining morale and ensuring high work quality.

Furthermore, sometimes running an idea up the chain of command can result in the idea either becoming distorted o stealing credit from the one that actually thought about it.

What is your opinion and preference on these two styles?
Whether your definitions of hierarchy and open door policies are applied in a business type, hierarchy still exist.

Come to think of it, even in open policy, there are people who take the final decision for implementation. Hierarchy and Chain of Command are in place to prevent anarchy and disorder.

In my career I have never experienced an open door because a good organization is always on the type of hierarchy. There is the programmer who is under the supervisor and who is also under the admin officer. They are all under the manager who in turn is under the vice president and then the president is the highest of them all. But for a business idea it can be entertained by the manager directly if it has substance.

You are absolutely right, regarding your thread. Hierarchical chains often become cumbersome when what you want is that the information or opinion you want to give, has to go through several people as it may be transgiversate or not get through. It is better to work in an open door company with unrestricted access directly to the owner or manager.

In a business, especially one that involves creativity, it is important that everyone has a voice and contributes to the lot. In as much, hierarchy is also important to maintain orderliness and discipline in the work space.

The two are both good depending on the types of business that is involved. Open door policies is faster in making amendments and adjustment since employees are free to report anything that is bothering them while hierarchy policy is mostly used in businesses that requires suffers security challenges.

Lucrative companies operate via hierarchy, and as such position is assumed as the individual spend more time on the company and work exponentially, then reward follows up to earn higher rank in the company.

Well, in reply to your question in the above post concerning if hierarchy or open door policy is the best to run your business, well I am of the opinion that you should stick with the hierarchy policy as i am someone who believes in structure

Yes it is true that some organizations have the hierarchy system in reporting to a higher chain of command before your idea of a particular innovation can be head or seen. It is not always the best approach to me

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds