Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Hierarchy vs 'Open door policy' businesses

Is it possible that the “open door policy” is harmful to managers and individual contributors alike? ... The theory states that an organization uses such openness to build a culture of trust, collaboration, communication and respect regardless of an individual's position in the hierarchy.
That is true,an organisation that knows the importance of having an open door policy would actually go far,because from time to time they will have the oppourtunity of hearing from the lower hierarchy in the work force.

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't really understand what you mean here, but I believe if you are working for a company, the company should employ someone to take good care of that, you shouldn't be working and the same time opening doors.

I don't really understand what you mean here, but I believe if you are working for a company, the company should employ someone to take good care of that, you shouldn't be working and the same time opening doors.
What was meant by door opening in an organisation here is not talking about security job , but the person that have the right to open the office door of the company's entrance door in the morning .

There are many companies that work on the hierarchy basis, whereby if you have an idea or a concern then there are channels that you have to follow in the chain of command in order for your idea to be heard by those in charge. There are other companies that employ an open door policy whereby if you have an idea you can easily just enter the office of one of the higher ranks in the company and pitch your idea to them if they are available. This promotes open communication and to a large extent, in my opinion, also provides a lot of motivation to the workers as well which is important in maintaining morale and ensuring high work quality.

Furthermore, sometimes running an idea up the chain of command can result in the idea either becoming distorted o stealing credit from the one that actually thought about it.

What is your opinion and preference on these two styles?
It is crucial for each individual to participate and contribute in a business, particularly one that incorporates ingenuity. With that being said, hierarchy is essential for preserving cohesion in the workplace.

Hierarchy policy is definitely the best in my opinion. No matter how good your idea is, you can't just enter the office senior staff or manager to discuss with them without follow the right procedure. However, open door policy is not bad, only that I prefer hierarchy policy to it.

Both open doors and hierarchies are efficient management techniques.
The fact that they are efficiently put up to bring out the finest is what matters most.
A welcoming environment is created through open doors and a hierarchy that helps to maintain respect and order.

If you are running a business what I understand is that just do what you find working out for you, the end gain is to earn a decent amount of money to make our ends meet.

Well I strongly do believe that the Open Door Policy in Business. Businesses that wish to foster an environment of cooperation and respect between the senior management team and employees create open door policies. This policy leads to greater ...

I believe that the business is going to be more a progressive if you're having an open door policy when the business is just like one year old and then switched to hierarchy when you are up to 10 years old.

I believe that every slave should have a master and that should also apply to the workplace because as a manager not everybody should be accessible to you all the time.

I believe that the business is going to be more a progressive if you're having an open door policy when the business is just like one year old and then switched to hierarchy when you are up to 10 years old.
That's completely true, if you are good at doing this kinds of things you'll definitely get the good results, starting up a business is not easy you need to have a good level of knowledge.

Both open doors and hierarchies are efficient management techniques.
The fact that they are efficiently put up to bring out the finest is what matters most.
A welcoming environment is created through open doors and a hierarchy that helps to maintain respect and order.
I have always likes the law of hierarchy in business where you are supposed to respect your seniors in an organisation, or the people that was employed before you becomes your senior automatically.

I believe that it is important everybody should have somebody they report to in a business especially if it is a large one. This is why I am not a big fan of the open door policy because a lot of people are definitely going to abuse it.

I believe that it is important everybody should have somebody they report to in a business especially if it is a large one. This is why I am not a big fan of the open door policy because a lot of people are definitely going to abuse it.
In the organisation I am working for at the moment , each department has its own head of department and each workers has his or her rank just to avoid disrespect between members .

There are many companies that work on the hierarchy basis, whereby if you have an idea or a concern then there are channels that you have to follow in the chain of command in order for your idea to be heard by those in charge. There are other companies that employ an open door policy whereby if you have an idea you can easily just enter the office of one of the higher ranks in the company and pitch your idea to them if they are available. This promotes open communication and to a large extent, in my opinion, also provides a lot of motivation to the workers as well which is important in maintaining morale and ensuring high work quality.

Furthermore, sometimes running an idea up the chain of command can result in the idea either becoming distorted o stealing credit from the one that actually thought about it.

What is your opinion and preference on these two styles?
Traditional hierarchical systems with strict access barriers are incompatible with the way modern businesses work. Instead, unrestricted communication and access are perfect for fostering a "open-door" culture throughout the organization. This culture values everyone's contribution, regardless of status or position.

Too much bureaucracy brings unnecessary delays and bottlenecks in the business process of an organization. It also impedes innovation and creativity. In that kind of organization, people would just be indifferent about generating ideas. For me, hierarchy is unnecessary.

I prefer open door policy business where anyone is expected to speak especially if it would really benefit the business than the hierarchy type of business where a low level employee has to pass through many people before his or her voice is heard.

I prefer open door policy business where anyone is expected to speak especially if it would really benefit the business than the hierarchy type of business where a low level employee has to pass through many people before his or her voice is heard.
And before the idea moves to where they would make the decision, it is distorted and loses value. Open door policy is the best. We are working to eliminate all those unnecessary line managers bureaucracy.

I think it depends on the business. A company like Google will probably have a mix of open door and a hierarchy. I think most big companies have it where you can't go right to the top, but some companies, mostly smaller ones will have an open door policy. With a small company, it's more intimate and therefore you know your co-workers more. And in turn, it's easier for bosses to enact an open door policy so that if needed, their employees and ask them questions or help when needed.

But a big company will have managers, leaders, etc that will run the show that you have to go to first.

Is it possible that the “open door policy” is harmful to managers and individual contributors alike? ... The theory states that an organization uses such openness to build a culture of trust, collaboration, communication and respect regardless of an individual's position in the hierarchy.
I am not familiar with the kind of policies that you people are talking about because I am not very much business-oriented but I will check it out to know what it entails

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds