Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Have you ever had to put someone on your ignore list?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
We've all been there – that moment when dealing with a particular forum member becomes more of a headache than it's worth. It's an age-old dilemma: do you engage in a never-ending argument, or do you take the high road and put them on your Ignore List?

What pushed you to take that step? Was it persistent trolling, relentless spamming, or simply an unending clash of personalities?

Share your experience about that one member who tested your patience to the limit. Did ignoring them bring peace and tranquility back to your forum, or did it lead to further drama? How did your community react to your decision? Did it have any unforeseen consequences?

Let's discuss the ethics and practicality of using the Ignore List as a moderation tool. Are there instances where it's better to engage with difficult members rather than ignore them? What strategies do you employ to maintain a healthy forum environment while dealing with challenging personalities?

Join us in this conversation about forum dynamics and member management. We all face these situations sooner or later, and by sharing our experiences, we can learn from each other and make our online communities better places for all. Have you ever had to put a member on your Ignore List? Let's talk about it!

It's going to be outside of Forums and sites but yes. In gaming terms, you will always come across those that are going to be added to your classic ignore list. I rarely add people to my list of death Xd however if they are at you all the time and being a dosh then I just think why waste your time?

End of the day those people end up not liking you and end up not talking to you anymore

Yeah there’s one forum I have over 10 people ignored, member base can be annoying and moderation towards trash talk is not important there. Some decent members there though and some useful products and information

I had to block someone on Facebook who found me on Sonic Retro too. I had to block him on the forums too, since he would constantly send me messages on Facebook. Thankfully I blocked him quickly on the forums so he wasn't able to send me messages there.

Never on a forum but lots on my blocked list on Facebook mostly bots though or people that have given me a reason to be on there.

I don't recall anyone around forums to be annoying enough to be in my ignore list. At FB is a routine.

Rarely. Sometimes for something as simple as an offensive avatar. Since that's usually the only way to hide their avatar. Nobody here, but on XF.com, there is a couple that have ... extremely weird avatars that make me go "ick" haha.

I've got a few... and at the top of the list is one from Australia.
I generally don't "ignore" people, even if they torque me the wrong way... but there are a few that if they were around they'd look like the proverbial headless chicken running around.

I generally don't "ignore" people, even if they torque me the wrong way... but there are a few that if they were around they'd look like the proverbial headless chicken running around.
At least with ignoring you can still unhide their posts to get context if needed. I wish Discord would do something like this: Ignore = add "message from ignored user" Block = don't show that banner at all.

At least with ignoring you can still unhide their posts to get context if needed. I wish Discord would do something like this: Ignore = add "message from ignored user" Block = don't show that banner at all.
A block feature has been asked for (and ignored - pardon the pun) for a few years on XF.

The thing about "Show ignored content" is that I'm too curious to see what they have replied. So in most cases the ignore feature is useless for me.

The thing about "Show ignored content" is that I'm too curious to see what they have replied. So in most cases the ignore feature is useless for me.
A block feature has been asked for (and ignored - pardon the pun) for a few years on XF.
This exactly! I do wish there was a proper block feature. I am too nosey too. (I also think we might have the same Australian on ignore @Tracy 😆).

Hopefully not me :ROFLMAO:

I’ve never blocked or muted anyone that In can recall. If I didn’t like talking to someone I’d just keep my responses basic and didn’t encourage further conversation.

I've never done it, but have most definitely considered it. Some people just bring you down and you don't need that around you all the time. I can get how you want to still be part of a community, but not have to see so and so's posts and comments.

I don't believe I ever have, but I'm sure I felt like doing so. Unless someone is personally "attacking" me, I don't really have much of a reason to put them on my ignore list. I get along with most people on forums at ease. I'm sure it boils down to what type of forums you're on and how active they are, but I generally am mostly attached to boards that are medium-sized.

I don't necessarily turn to adding people onto my ignore list. I just do it the old fashioned way by not acknowledging their posts and I completely ignore topics that they make. I just avoid them the best that I can.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor