Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Handling Difficult Co-workers

I have experienced this problem when I was operations manager of a software house. Some programmers would be chatting while working which is a clear interference on the work. Diplomacy works and that was always my style - be diplomatic and you will not fail. I don't remember getting angry or having an outburst in the office.
Very true, anger would not solve the issue, its best to be diplomatic. Have seen most times whereby the manager settles serious case with very little effort because of how he handled the whole issue.

Advertisement Placeholder
To be frank I don't really make friends at work place. If I am now unlucky to have a bad temper coworker, I just need to limit my interaction and have the portion of the work divided.

You are talking more like a theoretical guy. It is the norm of the company that we should not indulge in hot talks with senior managers. But that does not mean who are sitting in the higher authority can do whatever they want with their subordinates.
yes they cannot do whatever they like with the people that they are working with, that is true, if the manager is telling you to perform or is using you in way that you are not comfortable I think the best way you can arrest the situation is to settle it out amicably when theres is a company's meeting. You can raise it as a suggestion.

yes they cannot do whatever they like with the people that they are working with, that is true, if the manager is telling you to perform or is using you in way that you are not comfortable I think the best way you can arrest the situation is to settle it out amicably when theres is a company's meeting. You can raise it as a suggestion.
Normally the power that is given to such manager or upper level officers is very huge. But giving the power is not that important. Sitting at that position they should understand their subordinates and try to work with them politely.

The first step is to talk to the fellow about what you find unappealing about his/her manner, most people act out not knowing how it affects people around them, so talking to them may make them realize and change, otherwise, report to the appropriate authority in your organization, if there is no change, you should I and avoid them.

You sanity is very important and you shouldn't let anyone put you off.

If I have a difficult employee the best thing I will do is for me to tell them to change because being difficult in business will not guarantee the success of the business, peace and easy doing of things is the best for business.

Handling defficuilt co-workers there are certain needed things
1. Patience (this is important because with patience it will either cost you certain staff and or even your business)
2. Understanding (the ability to understand from the staff perspective on certain occasions and knowing what the staff sees why he or she would or could act or speak in a certain manner
3. love

I never have had a regular job. I have worked part time as a home tutor. My employer was a very difficult person, he delayed my payment, and strictly watched me when I was with this kid. I gave up the job.
You should be happy you have a part time tutor in giving tutorials to people at home, most employers in work setting are strict and are always hard to deal with in the work settings.

Every organisation seems to have that difficult and bad tempered co worker who wakes up everyday from the wrong side of the bed, working with such a colleague tends to be frustrating

Find below 5 tips on how to handle the situation effectively

1. Be calm, when tempers have risen, maintain your cool and never get angry.

2. Always be a step ahead emotionally, since you've known how your bad tempered co worker behaves , preempt his or her outbursts and this will make you handle the situation properly.

3. Limit interactions, only communicate when necessary.

4. Accept them the way they are, this way you'll never be surprised by their outbursts.

5. Report to your supervisor, if the situation becomes worse than you can handle or affects your work productivity/output you may have to report to a superior to handle for you.

Have you worked with a bad tempered co-worker?

Share your experience!.
Exactly they are lots of co workers whose behavior is not really ok for you as a coworker alot of times you might find them really annoying but you shouldn't forget to control your self in such situations.

My experience with working in an organization is limited. Even when I was working, I did not have any bad experience (that's because I was a manager)

Some coworkers are devil incarnate; they spend their days planning, plotting, scheming and proposing destruction for others. I experienced a lot of these in my formal workplace where a dude smiles with you now only to go slander you in front of the bosses because he wants your position. An adage says, "if you want to dine with the devil, you must use a long fork." Well, my fork is very long now. I learnt in a very hard way.

Obviously, you must communicate with the individual via remote, and at a moment when neither of you is in a hurry. Decide ahead of time what essential points you want to make, such as emphasizing how they act rather than what they are (in your opinion), and be prepared to be critiqued in response.

Some coworkers are devil incarnate; they spend their days planning, plotting, scheming and proposing destruction for others. I experienced a lot of these in my formal workplace where a dude smiles with you now only to go slander you in front of the bosses because he wants your position. An adage says, "if you want to dine with the devil, you must use a long fork." Well, my fork is very long now. I learnt in a very hard way.
Lolz it is true though, there are certain times some coworkers might come to you telling you some latest happenings in the office, or telling you what the manager said about you or about someone else or even judge how they dont flow well with you. Them telling you this is not actually because they want to gist with you, they just want to find out what you will say so they can report your words back to the manager.

The best thing is to stay focused because there are some co-workers that no matter what you do will always hate you and the may not like you because of jealousy or other things.

Wake on the wrong side of bed, lol. It's certain that whenever people are gathered, there would always be different characters and some may be tough more than others but patience and persistent encouraging helps.

You are talking more like a theoretical guy. It is the norm of the company that we should not indulge in hot talks with senior managers. But that does not mean who are sitting in the higher authority can do whatever they want with their subordinates.
It is most times very difficult and challenging to handle difficult coworker one thing you have to do is to look for the best minimum way to prevent or stay away from such person if you cannot be able to handle.

That is usually how some work places is to look like, I advice that oh should always try to form a good relationship with them and if its bad then report to the hr.

Every organisation seems to have that difficult and bad tempered co worker who wakes up everyday from the wrong side of the bed, working with such a colleague tends to be frustrating

Find below 5 tips on how to handle the situation effectively

1. Be calm, when tempers have risen, maintain your cool and never get angry.

2. Always be a step ahead emotionally, since you've known how your bad tempered co worker behaves , preempt his or her outbursts and this will make you handle the situation properly.

3. Limit interactions, only communicate when necessary.

4. Accept them the way they are, this way you'll never be surprised by their outbursts.

5. Report to your supervisor, if the situation becomes worse than you can handle or affects your work productivity/output you may have to report to a superior to handle for you.

Have you worked with a bad tempered co-worker?

Share your experience!
I have not realy had a very bad encounter with a difficult coleague as such,though i have seen a couple of them and theri temprament with relation to other coleague,but what has curtailed any issue with them,is knowing when to talk and putting up a discusion with them,i keep it purely professional and very quick to step down anything that has to do with individuala and gossip.

I really appreciate point number 5. I have only worked as a part-time teacher. When such a situation arises, I only reported to the supervisor, and in the end, I was sacked. But I made sure I made my grievances known.

This is actually a good information from you. The best way to handle a difficult co worker is just to be calm with them.i believe they will definitely come back there right senses and come back to you

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds