Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Double Posting

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
Credits
What are your thoughts of double posting? Is it okay to occur and you just ignore it? Does it only become a problem when it is 3 posts in a row? Perhaps you double post to bump an old thread, what are your thoughts of this? Do you have an extension that merges these posts together, or do you not worry about such a code or extension?

If a user mistakenly double posts, do they have access to delete their own posts, or do you simply leave them alone? Do you want your users to report such posts so they can be cleaned up?

Most forum scripts these days come with a merging tool. I think IC has one in the admin CP settings that I have setup on my community. If it's to bump a topic to the front page I guess it would be ok? But it has to be at least a month or 2 dead.

Repetitive posting is ok In a forum that dose not increase a post/content count. This would be like a forum games forum. But there are those forum admins that are all about content count regardless of quality. I feel these are the admins that are either out for popularity or just wants their members to have fun.

My views on double or triple posting? They made the edit button for a reason. If you have time make a whole new post just to add to what you said previously? I'm merging post

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. One day you wake up and realise your “post count” is not a measure of your worth. Either as a person or a community member.

It's sometimes obvious for what reason people would double post. In those cases being personal gain, it's not a thing I'd allow. If it's not for personal gain, and it happens then I don't mind it, if it's relevant to the thread.

Back in the days, double posting was such a crime, it wasn't even funny. Nowadays, people don't usually mind them so much.

Double posts don't bother me if it's a technical issue. However, if the person is posting the same thing over and over again it can become an issue.

If it's a few posts here and there, it doesn't bother me much, but when it starts to become a common thing it gets kind of annoying when people double-post and take up thread value with duplicate posts that other users could be using. I see the use for double posting in some instances, like when your post is really long and you want to break it into sections, like an article or documentation. But for the most part, most double posting is meaningless when they could have posted the exact response in their original post.

If it contributes something extra, like someone finding a solution to their own problem, and posting the solution as a separate post, those I'm ok with. But if its something smaller, I'd rather people do an edit.

I don’t mind, I like that they merge together if they were made in close enough time. If it’s clearly being done to boost post count that could be an issue if the post are super spammy.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor