Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

does time spent in traffic reduce productivity?

There is no way to put it, there are so many things that can hinder progress in an office setup and also it causes delay in workers getting to work on time which could lead to query by superior personnels

There are some situations that the staff cannot help when it comes to getting to their workplace late as a result of getting stuck in traffic. The only thing that they can do is to try and explain to their bosses.

Advertisement Placeholder
If you have been through hectic traffic, you will agree with me that it's a very stressful situation. When you are stressed up, you can not give your best at work. The productivity will definitely be affected

I think being in traffic is like being in the shower. It gives you Time to think about certain steps you are to take.(this should be when you are not the driver of the vehicle).

Yes it can but it the depends on you to find the balance within that line. If you live in a city where traffic gridlock is the order of the day like my dear Lagos, you could plan activities for that time so you don't stall on a lot of things that you could probably get moving. Then you can improve your productivity with traffic time and not necessarily reduce it.
True, i have some relatives who lives in lagos and the traffic is something else, yet they still live and work there and are able to secure jobs. Like you said, preparations need to be made ahead. Most usually wake up extremely early just so they can beat the traffic.

Yes it surely does. If your work has to do with target and time frame. You just feel like carry your car and fly off. Delay they say is dangerous

Even before the pandemic era the heavy traffic here was already affecting businesses. Employees spend so much time on the road and inefficient public transportation added to our woes. I myself spend hours to travel 5 kilometers. Delivery of goods suffered delays frequently.

Even before the pandemic era the heavy traffic here was already affecting businesses. Employees spend so much time on the road and inefficient public transportation added to our woes. I myself spend hours to travel 5 kilometers. Delivery of goods suffered delays frequently.
And now a days, the businesses are worsely affected. What is the use now, as there is no proper transportation is available. Even if the traffic is less now, you can't order from online food market.

It depends on how you want to spend your time in traffic. What happens to audio books?. I can develop myself by forming my own audio books and listening to them everytime in traffic. Best time for listening to tutorials.

Employees that reside in the urban areas will have a lot to say about their ordeal on daily basis navigating to their place of work.
Driving long distances can mean employees will arrive feeling tired and will already need a break when they arrive before starting their work. This then will impact their ability to get work done in the morning, arguably the most productive period of the day for most, thus making them less productive for the whole day.

is it a good idea to seek alternative means of transporting employees to work daily?

Time spent in traffic might affect the way an employee might work and this is because an employee who lives far away from work place might take a lot of time to reach the work place at a proper time. This is why many employers prefer people who live near their office.

In this case traffic is a serious hindrances to productivity of a business company, concerning the example you have just mentioned delivery of goods to people who are interested can be delayed, it will definitely reduce productivity.

Some people find ways to be productive while sitting in traffic. Some people continue to work, or have books around to read. I don't live in the city, but my cousin does, and she works often in the city. I heard that when you're stuck in traffic for so long, people find ways to continue their work or find something to do to kill the time.

I think for some it can stifle productivity, but for the most part, I think people who are used to being stuck in traffic all the time, find ways to keep occupied, and sure, some probably also work while in traffic if they can.

Most certainly true. The time one spends in traffic commuting to his or her place of work will certainly reduce productivity as the most of your strength would have been waisted in traffic before any meaningful thing can be achieved that day

Time spent in traffic can affect productivity owing to the time lost in traffic . In mega city like Lagos, people using up to find to ten hours in traffic disturbing or hindering them to carry out certain obligations or the other. Some sleep, while some goods becomes perishable.
A lot of manhour is usually lost to the issue of traffic gridlock on the roads.Productivity is a function of time,and when there is a distruption in time factor,task and job shedule will suffer and this will affect return in resources.

When you spent so much in traffic, it weakens and wear you out of the energy that you supposed to use to work and deliver good job at work would have been exhausted on traffic.

When you spent so much in traffic, it weakens and wear you out of the energy that you supposed to use to work and deliver good job at work would have been exhausted on traffic.
I believe this can definitely reduce productivity because as a responsible business ,it is normal for you to start your business as early as 8:00, but a situation in which you started your business by 11 am because of traffic will cut the productivity of the day.

I believe this can definitely reduce productivity because as a responsible business ,it is normal for you to start your business as early as 8:00, but a situation in which you started your business by 11 am because of traffic will cut the productivity of the day.
You are right but not all businesses starts or open for business early as 8:00am in the morning. I had worked for a company that open for business at 10:00am.

Spending on traffic can only reduce productivity is if you are not making profit from the advert campaign. Paid traffic are meant for profit generation.

Spending so much time in traffic impact negatively on the productivity of employees, because they would have been tired before they get to their workplace.

The only way you can maximize the amount you spend homepage traffic is to use it to build a client base so that you can continue to reach out to them once you exhaust your advert spending.

It definitely does and I'll use myself as a case study. I've sat in a bus for over 5 hours in traffic, even slept almost half of the way but the moment I came down, my brain wasn't there at all. It just kept screaming sleep, sleep.
It reduces the freshness of the brain and mind

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds