Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do your government charge self employed individuals operating on small scale business tax??

They do pay in my country but it depends if the business is a registered business. If it's not registered, there are some local government Representatives that gives out ticket with the amount to be paid on it.

Advertisement Placeholder
Well in my country location small medium enterprises pay levy, though they may not term it tax but little contribution once in a while. I feel independent small enterprises shouldn't be taxed at the same rate as major firms.nevertheless there are still tax evaders.

They do pay in my country but it depends if the business is a registered business. If it's not registered, there are some local government Representatives that gives out ticket with the amount to be paid on it.
I have never seen where the government of Nigeria does not charge small scale business taxes. In fact, they are overcharged because they don't have any choice as it's been that way for years and each government that comes in will increase their own tax.

If the business is registered it will certainly pay tax, but if it is not it stays on paying levies, the truth I everyone pays task, directly or indirectly.

Last edited:
If the business is registered it will certainly pay tax, but if it is not it stays on paying levies, the truth I everyone pays task, directly or indirectly.
Exactly my opinion. There was someone who said business that are registered won't be taxed, so I kept wondering why they are registered if not to tax them in the end? They are making the business look legitimate and recognized by the government, only to be taxed for money to government pocket.

Yes the Nigerian government taxes every working individual in the country, whether civil servants or artisans. The recent I've seen my state government do is taxing those that erect billboards and signposts.

There is nobody that is free from government charges, so long as you registered your business name and you re operating on that Same country you have to pay your charges which is tax. So, have at the back of your mind, whether self employed or sole business or joint venture, you can't escape government charges.

Yes the Nigerian government taxes every working individual in the country, whether civil servants or artisans. The recent I've seen my state government do is taxing those that erect billboards and signposts.
My annoyance with these tax agencies in my country is that they are run by touts who are not educated but are given power to oppress small scale business owners simply because of one tax or another. This country needs to grow up and see how the western world operate.

I have been told that, in some countries, there are occasionally, in places, in our street, that a specific state official would, often, at night, go from store to store putting a business owner along with other businesses, and demanding some fixed sum of money in taxes because of his/her work for their particular job. You may have been paid a small fee for using our services.

This happened a lot in Nigeria even taxi drivers I've been dark excessively not to talk of barbering shop that I'm in tax equally even the market woman she's doing typing that consideration in my country everything is under tax but they will not be that money to provide any social amenities it is so hard

I have been told that, in some countries, there are occasionally, in places, in our street, that a specific state official would, often, at night, go from store to store putting a business owner along with other businesses, and demanding some fixed sum of money in taxes because of his/her work for their particular job. You may have been paid a small fee for using our services.
There are some places run by thugs and they keep coming every day to collect what they called protection money. They are allowed by the government to keep their act up because they get their own percentage cut from whatever money gather.

The government does tax them, but once in a while, say once in three or four months. Also, the amount of tax on small enterprises is considerably low. But most of the monthly task are in the form of electricity bills which is compulsory else your electricity supply would be disconnected. And many businesses cannot operate optimally without electricity.

The government does tax them, but once in a while, say once in three or four months. Also, the amount of tax on small enterprises is considerably low. But most of the monthly task are in the form of electricity bills which is compulsory else your electricity supply would be disconnected. And many businesses cannot operate optimally without electricity.
The truth is that our government always pretend like they care about helping small scale business to grow or all SME business to thrive but in reality, all they are after is how much they can squeeze out of these small business on daily basis if possible. Look at those in the transportation business, they are made pay fees upon fees every day.

In Nigeria, believe it or not we are all paying tax either directly or indirectly. VAT service charge is part of the extortion called taxation. The federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) agency in Nigeria have not really looked into some situations that are lingering as far as taxation policy is concerned.

In Nigeria, believe it or not we are all paying tax either directly or indirectly. VAT service charge is part of the extortion called taxation. The federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) agency in Nigeria have not really looked into some situations that are lingering as far as taxation policy is concerned.
Seriously my friend I completely understand and agree with you on this about we all in Nigeria paying taxes either directly or indirectly. Some people may think that they don't pay anything called taxes because they don't go to FIRS office to pay but virtually everything you purchased are taxes and you are paying the taxes already.

You are correct
Exactly my friend. I can very well remember when a lot of things are cheap in this country but for one reason or another, the government keeps imposing a lot of taxes on all things, thereby making everything to be very expensive. So those who pay higher taxes on their business products are forced to include the higher taxes and sell to the general public.

The government in out home country wants every business, no matter what the size is, to be legally operated. Legally operated means the company is registered with local administration and also pays tax.

It depends and if the are aware of your small business, you'll pay task and if your business is registered whether small or big you'll pay task but the amount varies.

Every country have their way of charging taxes to individuals, companies and businesses in their respective demographic. I respect every bit of their decisions concerning tax, cos they generate revenue income through it. It helps improve the economy when add up with other income generated services. My country charges businesses that operates on a high level, tax. But small scale or mini businesses doesn't contribute to the tax levy. They will only enroll into the tax payment if their business becomes a registered and licensed one under the federal or state government bureau.

How do you own government act when it comes to taking taxes from mini/large businesses??
My country don't charge small self employed individual but state government do charge us to pay tax, I paid a tax of #1200 this year on my business.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds