Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you first draw or code ?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Are you the type of person who draws the idea before you start coding or are you the type of person that starts coding and designs along the way ? What's your process of making a new web design piece and why ? :)

Similarly, I use WordPress to build my websites. I'm lazy. LOL. I also use Divi to make it even easier. Again, I'm lazy. :LOL:

But I do tend to draw out the design on paper first and then work off it.

I find that the best way to design to be honest.

I need my own cheat sheet.

I don't normally draw anything - I tend to just go with it and experiment on the page as I go. It's really fun if I'm doing something for my wife though (she's the one who got me into roleplay forums, and most of the RP skins I make are really for her), where she'll doodle something on her iPad and it'll be the most rubbish drawing in her words, and she'll be surprised that I understood it and made it into what she imagined. Then I gently remind her that this is my day job too and that she's better at drawing what she wants than most of my clients have ever been...

I do sometimes draw out the architecture of a thing if it's going to be particularly gruesome, though.

Sometimes I'll draw out the design first; mainly it'll be a crappy drawing with boxes and a few notes describing what it should be. But more often than not, I start with coding and just see where it takes me.

Sometimes I'll draw out the design first; mainly it'll be a crappy drawing with boxes and a few notes describing what it should be. But more often than not, I start with coding and just see where it takes me.
Do you find it more challenging it to start off with coding instead of drawing ?

Whenever I make themes, I tend to design first since without any visual idea of what I want I wouldn't know what to even code. I look at it like trying to build a house without any blueprints or concepts drawn up beforehand; you can do it, but I doubt it works out as efficiently.

Whenever I make themes, I tend to design first since without any visual idea of what I want I wouldn't know what to even code. I look at it like trying to build a house without any blueprints or concepts drawn up beforehand; you can do it, but I doubt it works out as efficiently.
You’ve made a great theme for Universal Gaming. Are there any plans to make new ones? Or something you’ve done recently?

You’ve made a great theme for Universal Gaming. Are there any plans to make new ones? Or something you’ve done recently?
The current default theme for UG was a remake of the default theme we had before ZB died, where I decided since I was recoding the theme anyway I may as well remake the images to be better than they were, but whether you want to class remaking images for a theme as being the most recent I did is up to you. For the most recent theme I made that was entirely from scratch, the last one I did was Woolly World which is in UG's theme selector.
I have wanted for a long while to come up with a new theme and have a few ideas here and there for different parts of the theme that I just need to figure out how to put together in a cohesive manner as well as figuring out what to do with the parts I don't have ideas for. XD

It really depends on whether I have a really good idea already in memory or if it's something that just comes to mind and I would need to draw it out so that I don't forget it. Most of my coding has been done just from ideas that I have in mind and that I have coded from that and it's very rare that I do end up drawing code out.

In the beginning, I used to do mock-ups in Photoshop that I used as a reference when I coded. But these days, I find it much easier and faster to just code everything from the start. Sometimes I do a little mock-up of certain design elements so that I can quickly see what works and what doesn't work.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor