Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you design your forums

Henrywrites

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Designing one's forum has got to be one of the most difficult jobs. You are looking at a stage where you wish to have a forum with a good user interface. Do you think it is cool to do the design or you hire a web designer for the job?

If you don't have the knowledge on how to design your website properly, it is better for you to hire a professional to do it for you because it is going to save you the time and the stress too be doing it and making mistakes.

I have never designed one of my forums and either used premade skins or teamed up with my web designer friend who did all of the designing and I did all of the coding work.

My Otis Booard forum was just standard ZetaBoard templates and now just standard Tapatalk templates that was formed when tapatalk took over zetaboards.

I use content management systems to build forms. The major benefit of using a content management system to build a site, not just forums, is you can build your site without having any programming skills.

I tend to design my forum's theme because we have several modifications that we've coded ourselves that just don't work with pre-made themes.

With the help of the paid softwares that were recently developed, I don't think it's compulsory to hire a web developer for forum design. I'm not a forum owner, but I have experience website designing. In the real sense, there's little difference between website designing and forum designing.

When I had my portrait business, I used to design the site except for one time. I had an agreement with someone who would be my "manager" and she would get some new customers for me and I'd give her half of the money I earned. She redesigned my entire site (and I didn't care for it) and never got me a customer. So I eventually fired her and redesigned my site again so that it looked more like my own style.

I usually used pre-made but premium themes for my forums as I'm not very good at coding a custom theme for myself if I'm honest. I try to use themes I feel would fit well with the theme of the forum so it feels more natural. Take Revillution for example, we use a premium theme from Xenfocus that could be used for anything, with a 'grid' style to it with background images for each individual forum to help indicate what each section is for.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor