Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🎨 Theme Design Do forums need more than one theme?

For discussions on theme creation and design tips.
I once worked on a test site for SMF that had 280 themes installed. My local test site has about 50 installed.

Number of themes doesn’t equate to popularity, and it can easily lead to other problems. I dread to think what would happen if John implemented proper security against login replay attacks (answer every theme would break until manually fixed) so instead we’ll leave a security vulnerability in place for years.

And don’t get me started on how insecure dohtml is.

Without getting into the details too far, it’s a technique that can be used (usually in conjunction with other techniques) to break into accounts. The usual method to fix is to ensure that a special extra value must be submitted alongside the username and password to ensure that it’s actually being done as part of the exchange between user and server.

Especially important in places where dohtml is used because that lets regular users write JavaScript which can be used for all sorts of mischief.

We should form the Jcink appreciation society @Cory.
What would that entail? :unsure:

Is it responsive yet? Other forums were doing this a decade ago.
You have to make the desktop themes responsive yourself, the mobile theme is about as responsive as it gets.

And don’t get me started on how insecure dohtml is.
I always recommend that doHTML only be enabled for staff members, particularly administrators. I too have told users about the insecurities it possesses, some people don't really care.

Nah. For me, I think the only important thing is to have a light/dark toggle. For example, my writing partner prefers light themes while I prefer dark themes. I think changing up the layout too much makes things confusing.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest