Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🎨 Theme Design Do forums need more than one theme?

For discussions on theme creation and design tips.

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Many forums, by tradition, have multiple themes of different styles, lightness/darkness, etc. But if you look around at websites (not forums), including blogs, social media sites and general purposes sites on the web, you don't see any of them with a "theme selector" and different theme options.

Do you think forums should continue to be different and offer the variety? Or should we change with the times and stick with one consistent look - it would be better for branding, could lead to less bug issues/development if you only have to work with one theme instead of a handful, etc. But it also won't please everybody.

What do you think?

I think a forum should have a nice selection of themes but also not have too many just for the sake of the admin having to make multiple edits across several themes just to change one thing. The more themes there are, the more work he/she has to do. :p

I don't like having my forum or website looking chaotic by bombarding it with too many themes so I just still with one or two if there is a need for more I don't like to exceed three for most extreme cases.

• Dislike
Reactions: Ken
Years ago, my forum had over 10 themes available to use. We had themes for different areas of the forum, personalized themes for admins, and themes that were used as the site default for roughly 4-6 months. Nowadays, we don't have that many because 1) we just migrated from Jcink to SMF, and 2) I just don't have the time to keep up maintenance on everything.

As a member, I enjoy when forums have a few different themes to choose from in case I don't like the look of the default theme or it hurts my eyes. I also think it's a nice look into how the forum has evolved.

I don't mind having 2 selections (light and dark) for members but beyond that, it's not worth it. There is oftentimes a certain look to a site that becomes memorable as part of their brand and to offer different themes destroys that branding.

The OP is correct though that the larger companies only offer one look and it works for them.

I think at least having a light and dark style available will make members happier to be a part of your community because a lot of people prefer different things. Some people go crazy and add way too many themes, I think. Options are nice, but I think keeping a somewhat consistent style across the options available will allow the overall forum to seem more consistent.

I don't feel the need to have many themes available for a forum at all. I remember when I first started out with forums, I would go mad with having several different themes and then soon realized that I would have to edit every theme if I had any mods and that just got too much. I feel that having one specific kind of theme both in light mode and dark mode works well and gives members that option of having either a light skin or a dark skin. I don't feel you need anymore than that at all.

In my opinion, at least two themes should be made available to choose from, in a forum. One light and one dark. This can satisfy almost all members of the forum in terms of the theme they want to use.

Target your audience. I use some sites at night while doing my astro related hobby... and I hate the crap out of it when it's a bright white site. It kills your night vision and also can interfere with the captures.
That's why I have a "night vision" style I'm working on for my site as well as the standard light/dark options. Even the dark option has "bright" aspects to it. The night vision one tones those bright aspects (prefixes, etc) down by 50%.

I think forums should have at least two themes, one light and one dark. There's people who prefer dark themes like myself, but others prefer using light themes.

I'd like to ask a similar question that will reframe this for everyone:
How many themes does Facebook have?
How many themes does Reddit, Twitter, or Discord have?

They have 1 theme. Maybe light dark variant for modern browsing. But one and only one theme.

Yet somehow forums think we need 8 different versions, not including our special holiday ones!

There's nothing stopping you from offering multiple themes if design and aesthetics is part of the value of your community. But if those value propositions are not a major part of your sites strategy, you'll find most users just won't care.

I'd like to ask a similar question that will reframe this for everyone:
How many themes does Facebook have?
How many themes does Reddit, Twitter, or Discord have?

They have 1 theme. Maybe light dark variant for modern browsing. But one and only one theme.

Yet somehow forums think we need 8 different versions, not including our special holiday ones!

There's nothing stopping you from offering multiple themes if design and aesthetics is part of the value of your community. But if those value propositions are not a major part of your sites strategy, you'll find most users just won't care.

If people of Facebook, Twitter, etc could have the option of having more than one theme, do you think they'd use it? I certainly do. The reason forums have more themes is because members desire to have options and the owners care about what the members want :)

I think a light and dark theme at the very least are needed. I personally like a holiday theme or a mixed theme that is a bit light and dark too. I think the max should be 4 themes. That way you are able to fully brand each theme as your community. Logos, graphics and etc.

I was around long enough on forums to remember Invisionfree and how we all somehow lived with only getting one theme or skin as they were called. It's not to say we wanted more than one at a time on our boards but we didn't need it. It's not to say it's not wanted but I don't think it's something anyone really needs and can't do without if they had to.

It is a good idea to have a light/dark version, but multiple different themes.. nah Focusing on one perfect theme that matches your forum topic is the better route in my opinion.

I disagree with most of you in this thread. It's nothing wrong with have more than one forum theme.
Kindly point out where anyone said having more than one theme was a bad idea. I’ve read over the thread - of multiple people talking to each other - and the general consensus is that more than one theme is the way to go. Who exactly is the ‘most of you’ that you’re disagreeing with? An easy 60% agree with you.

It's not the only feature in Nitro and depending on how heavy a Discord user you are, it may well be worth it for some of the other features (I rely on a number of other features in Nitro, the theme I could take or leave as long as I had the choice of light/dark)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest