Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🎨 Theme Design Dark Mode Vs. Light Mode

For discussions on theme creation and design tips.

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Do you like forums in dark mode or light mode? Do you allow your users to switch between dark mode or light mode? As far as I am concerned, I do not like dark mode on forums. The purpose of the forum is to have a discussion and I find it stressful to create posts on the website that are in dark mode. I find light mode easy for my eyes and also for the mind. My forums are in light mode.

I prefer dark mode personally everywhere, its easier on my eyes, especially at night. But eventually I'll add a light mode theme, don't know when it'll be done though as I'd need to hire an artist to make a new variation of my current site background image in light mode.

I do not like dark mode on forums. The purpose of the forum is to have a discussion and I find it stressful to create posts on the website that are in dark mode.
And I find it VERY beneficial when you are sitting out in the dark doing captures not to be blasted with a crap ton of white/bright colors ruining your night vision. It can be as so bad that if you are at a group site, you can be politely asked to leave.
One thing I'm working on is a "night vision" version of a basic style that will be reds and black... main background black, everything else shades of red.
My astro site has both available... and the default is dark.

And I find it VERY beneficial when you are sitting out in the dark doing captures not to be blasted with a crap ton of white/bright colors ruining your night vision. It can be as so bad that if you are at a group site, you can be politely asked to leave.
One thing I'm working on is a "night vision" version of a basic style that will be reds and black... main background black, everything else shades of red.
My astro site has both available... and the default is dark.
I could see some time parsing being very valuable in your forum where if its between sunrise and sunset you let the users preference determine the palette and if not then they get the "night vision" variant... Just a thought..

I could see some time parsing being very valuable in your forum where if its between sunrise and sunset you let the users preference determine the palette and if not then they get the "night vision" variant... Just a thought..
Yah... XF doesn't have that as an option... but it would require a 3rd party add-on... and it's honestly simpler to develop the"night view" version and have it as an option instead of the current light/dark one. If the user want's to use light, make them specifically use it. I have gotten used to darker styles and the bright ones like the default here are rather "aggressive".

I feel that a dark mode is good especially for those that have vision problems. so if they have a light sensitivity like myself I will design a dark theme over a light one.

I always give my members the option of switching between dark or light themes. I prefer dark themes myself, but it's always good to have choices for everyone.

Either and or, I mean generally ill use the default theme or skin to start off with. The issue I have with Dark mode is so many are just not done properly and look crappy... so I end up switching back to light themes.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor