Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Colors that should be avoid on forum and website design?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
In your opinion, what are some colors that should not be incorporated in website or forum themes?

Depends on the shade of brown; earthy tones aren't inherently a problem, especially if you twin it with a nice green as an accent for plants and growth.

The main drama is cultural associations; reds in some parts of the world may mean excitement, in others it's danger. Kind of depends on your target audience - in the Western world it tends to be things like green is life, affluence, health; blue is calm, cool, neutral; red for anger, blood pumping; orange for warmth, radiance.

Honestly, I think the important thing is not which colours you use, but how you use them :p .

The base colour should be either very light or very dark, so it isn't too overpowering. But more vibrant colours have their place as accent colours :) .

I was also thinking brown as soon as I read the title, I'm glad other people have said it too. :ROFLMAO:

Back in the days of Zetaboards, we had lime green themes that killed it. :cool:
This reminds me of a theme called "Lime in the Coconut", a theme that I remember had numerous attempts made to have it win the Theme of the Month vote on the ZB Support Board just because Nicolas despised it. Can't recall if it ever actually won though.

This reminds me of a theme called "Lime in the Coconut", a theme that I remember had numerous attempts made to have it win the Theme of the Month vote on the ZB Support Board just because Nicolas despised it. Can't recall if it ever actually won though.
I think I vaguely remember that, being lime green and dark brown. I think it was a nice theme, but could be mistaking.

Wish I had permission to convert it to Jcink. (y)
We’ve had this discussion a few times, but I really wouldn’t wait for any designer that will most likely never come online. And if they do, they would most likely be honored if they saw it converted. Especially when the copyright is respected. And if they don’t, you can easily remove the theme from the selection. It was a free theme to begin with, so in many cases it would be OK for you to convert. You’re doing everyone a favor with this. Beautiful work like this is a shame to see it gone. Go for it Cory, I take blame and responsibility if anything bad happens.

We’ve had this discussion a few times, but I really wouldn’t wait for any designer that will most likely never come online. And if they do, they would most likely be honored if they saw it converted. Especially when the copyright is respected. And if they don’t, you can easily remove the theme from the selection. It was a free theme to begin with, so in many cases it would be OK for you to convert. You’re doing everyone a favor with this. Beautiful work like this is a shame to see it gone. Go for it Cory, I take blame and responsibility if anything bad happens.
One issue with conversions is it's very hard to find a live version of the theme because your only hope is The Wayback Machine. It would be extremely tough to convert a theme based on the wrappers and CSS alone, having the visual is much more plausible. Not to mention, having the live version allows you to use the graphics by re-downloading them.

One issue with conversions is it's very hard to find a live version of the theme because your only hope is The Wayback Machine. It would be extremely tough to convert a theme based on the wrappers and CSS alone, having the visual is much more plausible. Not to mention, having the live version allows you to use the graphics by re-downloading them.
Is there anything I can do to help?

Is there anything I can do to help?
You would have to find old ZetaBoards URLs and insert them into The Wayback Machine to see if they have the theme as their default theme. It's quite a tedious task trying to find specific themes to convert via this process.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor