Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Code Ideas for Free Forum Software

Cory

Community Manager
Community
Team Manager
Website
jcodes.jcink.net
Credits
I'm creating this thread to discuss features that can be potentially created with coding for free forum software. On the forum software I use, we cannot use server-side scripting, but for those that can use server-side scripting, ideas are welcome for that software as well. Any ideas for features that can be accomplished with coding are welcome here.

• I wish PMs would be in threads - easier to go back and refer to previous PMs.
  • I wish notifications would only occur once e.g. you don't need a separate notification for someone mentioning you in a post, quoting your post and replying to that thread.
  • I wish that... imagine post A quotes post B which quotes post C - I wish when quoting post A, the quote wouldn't appeared to be quoting post B which appears to be quoting post C above, which we have to manually edit to clean the post clean. It should just show the text of the post you quote and not the posts within.
  • I wish that navigating to the thread for the notification would automatically make the notification disappear.
These are the issues I've encountered with free forum software, which at least does not occur with Xenforo

Is it possible to have a feature of recording voice in PMs as well as posts & replies?

• I wish PMs would be in threads - easier to go back and refer to previous PMs.
  • I wish notifications would only occur once e.g. you don't need a separate notification for someone mentioning you in a post, quoting your post and replying to that thread.
  • I wish that... imagine post A quotes post B which quotes post C - I wish when quoting post A, the quote wouldn't appeared to be quoting post B which appears to be quoting post C above, which we have to manually edit to clean the post clean. It should just show the text of the post you quote and not the posts within.
  • I wish that navigating to the thread for the notification would automatically make the notification disappear.
These are the issues I've encountered with free forum software, which at least does not occur with Xenforo
  • I tried making a threaded PM code once for Jcink, but I failed in doing so. I may give it another try someday. It probably involves some advanced RegEx that I'm not very fluent in.
  • How would that work when you need to be linked to separate areas of the board when someone does such actions?
  • This is actually a feature on Jcink at least, to stop quote embedding to a certain level.
  • I think with JavaScript you would somehow have to use localStorage to accomplish this, where when the notification is clicked localStorage stores the alert info in the browser to ensure it doesn't show again.
Is it possible to have a feature of recording voice in PMs as well as posts & replies?
I wasn't sure if JavaScript could accomplish this or not, but after searching Google it seems doable.

• I tried making a threaded PM code once for Jcink, but I failed in doing so. I may give it another try someday. It probably involves some advanced RegEx that I'm not very fluent in.
  • How would that work when you need to be linked to separate areas of the board when someone does such actions?
  • This is actually a feature on Jcink at least, to stop quote embedding to a certain level.
  • I think with JavaScript you would somehow have to use localStorage to accomplish this, where when the notification is clicked localStorage stores the alert info in the browser to ensure it doesn't show again.
In case you didn't notice all these bullet points including the second and fourth are implemented in xenforo. I'm a software dev but the how isn't something I've taken the time to consider really.

In case you didn't notice all these bullet points including the second and fourth are implemented in xenforo. I'm a software dev but the how isn't something I've taken the time to consider really.
It's not about what software has X feature, it's about what X feature could be developed with coding that does not have X feature.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor