Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Being transparent to your members

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
As a forum owner, I believe in being transparent and open with my members. This could help to build trust and foster a strong community. When I'm open and approachable, members are more likely to engage in discussions and feel invested in the forum.

However, there are some things that should remain private, such as specific financial details and personal information and other technical stuff.

What's your opinion on this? How open should a forum owner be with their members?

Transparency is great, it is something every owner should practice, it keeps members in the loop and shows that you care; however, yes, there are 100% things that should not be divulged. Your forum is your asset, your project, your baby, look after it, nurture it and know that there are people looking to bring it down, so protect certain pieces of vital information for your safety and the benefit of the forum in the long run. It doesn't hurt members to have a few secret details, lol.

Once your members lose trust in you, it's over for your forum and they will go to any extent to discourage others from joining your forum as they will post all about it on other forums. It's a bad PR for your forum and it's very important to avoid it.

I believe being open and honest with your members can go a long way, knowing you're a trustworthy administrator will make people more at an ease with being a part of your forum, I think. You don't have to share personal details to be this way, just engage with your members to an extent that makes them feel welcome and build a bond of trust between your members knowing they can put their faith in their administrator to do no harm.

As long as you get to keep your members up-to-date on what is happening on the forum, then I think that is a great way to go. However, you can try to limit it to forum activities and not involving other personal details about your life.

I think being transparent as possible is super important! Now sometimes as things are beginning to unfold, it's hard to be transparent because who knows what direction the actions could take it. If an update is coming, I try to update users, or I discuss it with the users in the Social Lounge type threads.

Financially can be kept private, but honestly I have seen where a community gave an amount that was needed to continue their license and domain and users would donate to that cause throughout the year. I think something like that is helpful and just being open with the community. Especially if they know the financial burden could possibly close their community, they will likely try to step up.

I always try and open up and say things to all people :) however, even being truly open up to engage with members ends up just as bad if you don't. So it's twists and turns at times. But not going to please everyone end of the day so you do what's best and you do what's right and also you do what you feel comparable doing ;)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor