Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Adding Your Manager As A Friend... Digitally.

D

Deleted member 403

Do you think it is acceptable to add your manager as a friend on Facebook or communicate with them outside of work hours between personal devices? I believe managers are not your friends. They are your leaders - things should be kept professional whether you are an employee or employer. IF you decide to friend your manager on Facebook or another social media platform, you need to be aware that your boss can see everything that you post online, which could potentially land you in trouble.

What do you think? Is it right to contact your manager through private communicating methods?

Advertisement Placeholder
Yes, even I believe that your managers are NOT your friends. They are people who work under you, not people from whom you could seek personal advice. You may seek advice related to your work and i do not think that there is anything wrong with seeking advice from your juniors. But this does not mean that you should seek advice from them when it comes to personal life.

You're absolutely right @Alexander, there ought to be a big difference between work and personal life. You can decide to have a relationship with your manager or not but make sure it doesn't affect work or that individual's effective performance

Do you think it is acceptable to add your manager as a friend on Facebook or communicate with them outside of work hours between personal devices? I believe managers are not your friends. They are your leaders - things should be kept professional whether you are an employee or employer. IF you decide to friend your manager on Facebook or another social media platform, you need to be aware that your boss can see everything that you post online, which could potentially land you in trouble.

What do you think? Is it right to contact your manager through private communicating methods?
I don't really know of others but for me personally I may not even be comfortable to add them up on my Facebook page because I will not be comfortable to let them see what I posted and everything I do online. My manager is not my friend but they are my official business leader.. I don't see the need of adding him up to my Facebook page .

I believe that even if there should be any need for such a relationship with your manager, the first step should be made by him and not the junior staff and also you should be very careful with what you say to and with him or her off work.

I was once a paid writer on Hubpages. I added the manager as a friend on facebook. I no longer publish on hubpages and the manager is also not on hubpages, but we are still friends on facebook.

I do not see anything wrong with adding your manager through private communicating methods.
I have my boss on facebook and whatsapp, but unfortunately have not had any basis of communication.
I can not delete her either, there could be a time when the need for communication on these platforms may arise.

I even had to reject my Boss' friend request on Facebook.
I couldn't think of anything we could discuss outside work. It would be so awkward having my boss as a friend on Facebook and then never saying 'hi'.

There is no law that states a manager has to be your friend or not, it is based on the personality of the manager and of cause the employees as well. Personally I do not see any reason in talking to my boss outside working hours on things that are not work related. Unless I have a close relationship with him. Where I worked in school, I had a very close relationship with my boss, that we hang out even after working hours, I knew everything about him, but I never lost respect for him.

I don't agree to communicating with them privately. Communication ends at business points, anything personal should be kept confidential.

My business life stays far away from my personal life and social media life because I don't want to have anyone who's judgmental as a boss or Manager on my neck. I have seen it happen on more than one occasion.

Yes of course, is really good to add your manager as your friend in Facebook so that you two can be communicating about your business, so is not a bad idea.

I don't agree to communicating with them privately. Communication ends at business points, anything personal should be kept confidential.
That is true communication ends at business place but its also depend on how close you are to your manager,if you are so close to your manager then there is nothing wrong adding him in some of the social media you may need his help maybe sometime late in the night for private discussion so you use social media instead of calling him at that hour just drop him a private message and shortly you get your reply

It very good to add your manager as a friend digitally.When you have problem online on a manager would the next to contact for assistance.

Personally, it will be very difficult to have my boss as as friend on Facebook and other social media platform. If it is not work related I don't think I would love to communicate with my present boss not to talk of adding her as my friend on social media.

I feel there is time for everything on Earth,there is time to work time to rest,and there are levels in everything on Earth,it is very wrong to add your manager on facebook much less chatting him or her on Facebook,it is not proffesional

yes. I don't see any problem by chatting your manager privately . many of the managers nowadays are very friendly.but if it will cause you a problem you better not start it.

I agree completely I think if managers can not understand that life outside work is different from work, then I think it is best to keep them separate and away from your personal life.

Yes, managers are your leaders but in my opinion it is no bad to have a personal relationship with them or chat with them as long as it it after working hours and as long as it is not affecting one's work.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds