Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

A minimalist Theme?

Using minimal graphics can always be a good thing to help with load times and not make the skin so clustered. A lot of people always think JavaScript is the culprit of slow load times, but graphics generally take up more space than JavaScript does. You can always use CSS gradients, CSS icons like FontAwesome, and more to deter you from using too many graphics in your design.

Sometimes a minimalist approach is the best one. If there's a bit too much going on, it can get overwhelming for some people. Not to mention, if you don't have the best speeds when it comes to your hosting, it can really slow down your website.

Both can be fun, but I use a minimalist one at the moment for my drumming site. Anyway, minimalist can be self-customized to be bigger.

Interestingly, I'm a user on a NodeBB forum, and before that it was a Discourse forum. Those platforms take minimalism to a whole new level. Can't say I'm entirely fond.

I think depending how well a minimalist design looks it can be appealing. I think it also depends on your forum genre. I've seen some wonderful themes that are minimalistic and i've seen some that are extremely subpar. To each their own, but I prefer something that has a little more depth to it.

I think it's a balancing act. I went for a minimalist look as it looks clean and load quickly. Likely my design skills aren't great so there was a risk of making it look hideous.

Cluttered forms often have a bit of a nostalgic feel these days, but that's not always a bad thing!

I try to keep a minimalist theme for my blogs.

I do try to keep them unique from free themes but less design and more content, the better.

But for a forum, I'm not so sure I feel the same way. Forum designs have always been fun traditionally. Sure, there is such thing as too much but there is cool too like the design here. It's pretty rad.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor