Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

💬 Platform Discussion XenForo 2.3 preview

Dedicated to updates, news, and discussions related to the community software platform like Invision Community, WoltLab, XenForo, and others. This helps us in organizing and centralizing all relevant information in one thread.

Jordan

Credits
3 years later, some first looks into 2.3. What do you guys think of the results?

Thread on XF explaining the features:

Video:

Usually this means that it should be out soon, like 2-3 weeks, IIRC.

Can't wait! Though I'll have to wait for my addons to update as well, unless the devs validate that no changes are needed.

Can't wait! Though I'll have to wait for my addons to update as well, unless the devs validate that no changes are needed.
Yea, they will do a spew of HYS threads. Hopefully a couple week. Hoping for modern image formats to be supported.

Yea, they will do a spew of HYS threads. Hopefully a couple week. Hoping for modern image formats to be supported.
It's been pretty much confirmed for WebP at least, IIRC. By Kier himself:

That will be super nice. Hopefully addons won't need to manually add support. I wonder . . . @Bob will webp support "just work" in 2.3 with your blog addon?

TL's image optimizer will probably need to add its own support in manually.

SWEET. I am hoping most addons will "just work" except style-related addons. Though I am using default style, just customized.

I will def do a 2.3 localhost test and import current site to it to see if it works before publishing live, when it launches.

Uh.... if you mean release... nope... more like 2-3 months at the earliest.

New features that same of us have seen in addons anyway, From the video it looks to be more easy cosmetic with the theme. And performance might have been improved, be cool to see who will use those options when they upgrade their site to 2.3

Uh.... if you mean release... nope... more like 2-3 months at the earliest.
Well, according to what I'm seeing, the HYS for 2.2 was in August 2020, and Wikipedia shows release for 2.2 as September, a month later. It's entirely possible 2.3 will have a ~4 week release window as well. But we'll see.

Well, according to what I'm seeing, the HYS for 2.2 was in August 2020, and Wikipedia shows release for 2.2 as September, a month later. It's entirely possible 2.3 will have a ~4 week release window as well. But we'll see.
Nope... you will see a BETA come out... then 2-3 release candidates... and those will run more than a week apart to get wide testing in. On average, it's about 2-5 months between the first HYS and the release of 2.3. I personally don't (and won't) use a RC on a live site.

Whenever the 2.3 is released, I would advise to test everything on a dev/duplicate of your running site, to make sure nothing is broken. Might take a couple of weeks until all developers update their add ons and themes. Some devs will probably not even bother or just left XF altogether.

As soon as 2.3 BETA is released, Bob will be updating his add-ons to work with it from my understanding... but I've learned to not jump on the x.Y.z releases when they come out. There are almost always issues that crop up and will normally wait until the x.y.1-2 release. By that time, most big things have been found, and if not fixed, being worked on. The only reason to upgrade immediately is
A) the need for something it offers that you are currently paying 3rd party for and it's about to renew
or
B) the need for instant gratification of "running the latest firstest"

The new variations feature itself is enough for me. I would love to offer both a light and a dark version for all of the different game-genre styles we have. I will be waiting for it to come out to at least the final RC stage. And I will test the betas on localhost.

Finally, featured content! This will be a great addition to 2.3

Finally, featured content! This will be a great addition to 2.3
Something I was already used to with a certain developers add-ons.... so not "ground breaking" by any means.
In fact, the add-ons take it several steps further than what XF does with their featured content ability... being able to set it to "unfeature" after a set number of days being one of them apparently.
I REALLY hope that something this simple is not what they are considering "earth shattering"... if so, it doesn't bode well.

Something I was already used to with a certain developers add-ons.... so not "ground breaking" by any means.
In fact, the add-ons take it several steps further than what XF does with their featured content ability... being able to set it to "unfeature" after a set number of days being one of them apparently.
I REALLY hope that something this simple is not what they are considering "earth shattering"... if so, it doesn't bode well.
Hopefully they will add in an automatic unfeature and ways to define criteria. If not in 2.3, in 3.0 hopefully.

Hopefully they will add in an automatic unfeature and ways to define criteria. If not in 2.3, in 3.0 hopefully.
It's something they should have contemplated as core when developing it. It shouldn't take that much more coding to have done so... and maybe they will "tweak" it if enough people comment on it in that thread. It's not one of the areas that I participate in over there (even in reading very often)... so I won't be bringing it up.

Not that you asked, but User Blogs System will still have both Auto Feature Blogs by Criteria and Auto Feature Blog Entries by Criteria (and more criteria than what you'd ever get with a generic handler). Also, UBS will still have Auto Unfeature after x amount of days. This new Content Type hander just reduces the amount of code that I will have to write, in fact, its a hell of a lot of code reduction, especially since they designed the Widget Definition to use content context (which auto detects where the widget is being displayed, so if on UBS Index, it would only pull Featured Blog Entries :)
Yep, I know about UBS, but I'm talking about regular threads or vanilla article threads, like what I use for announcements.

It's something they should have contemplated as core when developing it. It shouldn't take that much more coding to have done so... and maybe they will "tweak" it if enough people comment on it in that thread. It's not one of the areas that I participate in over there (even in reading very often)... so I won't be bringing it up.
I'll let em know I'd like to see it, since, honestly, it would be nice as a core feature rather than an addon for a new core feature.

Edit: I replied and commented on the HYS thread, and made this suggestion to hopefully show the devs we want it:

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor