Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you be more inclined to assist if you were given a staff role?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
I think many of us have encountered this at some point in our online lives. Let's say you have an online acquaintance who has recently launched a new community and reaches out to you for help kickstarting the activity by posting a few threads. Would you be more willing to help them out if they offer you a staff position, such as a moderator or even a co-admin?

On one hand, being offered a staff position may make you feel more invested in the community and motivated to contribute. It could also be a great opportunity to gain experience and build your resume in a field you're interested in.

On the other hand, if you don't know the person well or don't feel confident in their leadership abilities, accepting a staff position could be a risky move. It could also create a conflict of interest if you're expected to moderate or administrate impartially.

What do you think? Have you ever been in a similar situation? Would you be more inclined to help out if offered a staff position, or does it not make a difference to you? Let's discuss!

I think many of us have encountered this at some point in our online lives. Let's say you have an online acquaintance who has recently launched a new community and reaches out to you for help kickstarting the activity by posting a few threads. Would you be more willing to help them out if they offer you a staff position, such as a moderator or even a co-admin?

On one hand, being offered a staff position may make you feel more invested in the community and motivated to contribute. It could also be a great opportunity to gain experience and build your resume in a field you're interested in.

On the other hand, if you don't know the person well or don't feel confident in their leadership abilities, accepting a staff position could be a risky move. It could also create a conflict of interest if you're expected to moderate or administrate impartially.

What do you think? Have you ever been in a similar situation? Would you be more inclined to help out if offered a staff position, or does it not make a difference to you? Let's discuss!

It depends. Sometimes it helps if I'm invested in the community.

But on the other hand, it given a staff role, I feel obligated to help, when I may not want to later.

Edit: When I was younger I was a member of a gaming clan (when those were really popular), and they put in me in the "Webmaster" role.

I handled everything from design to custom add-ons. I was invested in that community, but eventually I lost interest and stepped down.

Last edited:
Administrators have sometimes come to me asking to join their board and sometimes post a few topics or posts, which I usually don't feel very comfortable doing if I don't know the person well. If they were a friend of mine, I'd probably be happy to help them out and show them support as our friendship can mean supporting each other.

If I'm a staff member, I feel it is my duty to contribute to the board, but if I'm just an average user I feel I can come and go as I please.

Administrators have sometimes come to me asking to join their board and sometimes post a few topics or posts, which I usually don't feel very comfortable doing if I don't know the person well.

Can you come to my board and make some posts. 😏

I’m all for being supportive, so I’m sure I wouldn’t mind trying to post some content to generate new activity. I wouldn’t expect anything in return either, so it wouldn’t matter to me whether or not I was a staff member.

Further activity would probably depend on the type of forum it was and whether it was an interest of mine. I would always make that clear from the start though.

If I was not contributing much before being offered a position, I honestly don't think I would be more active. Hopefully I'm contributing a lot already before being offered a position. If they offered me a position for a new community, I would at least join and check it out before accepting such a position!

Having been admin, co admin, moderator etc for a heap of forums it doesnt appeal to me AT all. I would just be happy to help out as a general member posting content on the site. And honestly, if its a new website, it DOESNT need more staff, it needs content. Content is king! especially with a new website. No point in having 3 Mods but nothing to moderate. Also for some reason, for a new forum when its just the mods and admin posting that also puts me off the site.

Having been admin, co admin, moderator etc for a heap of forums it doesnt appeal to me AT all. I would just be happy to help out as a general member posting content on the site. And honestly, if its a new website, it DOESNT need more staff, it needs content. Content is king! especially with a new website. No point in having 3 Mods but nothing to moderate. Also for some reason, for a new forum when its just the mods and admin posting that also puts me off the site.
Very good point. Being there contributing content is the best thing you can do sometimes!

Personally I believe the passion should come first then the staff position. It really doesn't work out that well if it is the other way around for either party involved.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor