Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Why is there no delete button?

⭐ Alex ⭐

Recognized member
Credits
Usually forums put people in control of their data and allow members to delete their own posts. Why is the delete button not present on AJ?

Social media made deleting posts popular, but it wasn't really a forum thing. I am on dozens of forums that don't permit deleting topics or replies at the click of a button. Many will though if you ask nicely and provide a valid reason.

Proboards allows it. Can't say I've ever noticed here as I always re-read my posts before I post reply anyway. Guess if someone badly wants to delete a post, just edit it with a dot?

The 'usually' in the op must be on the more recent side because self deleting posts on a forum is a rare thing for me to find, at least after a short grace period. They can be deleted by request typically or edited as above, but generally what's said is said and sometimes the liberty to delete can be very dangerous, although this is more for when someone posts a lot of useful/contextually critical/pinned or official things which all get wiped after a falling out.

Not at all, when implemented properly such as in xenforo, the delete simply hides from public view and moderators can still see it.
The rest of the quote gives a non-technical scenario where this can be a problem, albeit I admit it is rare.

On my first community, we have the 15 minute edit window in place. You can edit or hide your post within that timeframe. But after that you have to say please.

I think we should be conscious about / self-review what we write before clicking on the 'post' button.

I’m just going to go ahead and quote the terms of service that you, uh, did read when you signed up?

By submitting content, you grant us a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable license to utilize the content in connection with the Service. You retain the content's copyright.

You don’t get to remove it when you posted it unless it’s inappropriate, or if the admins agree with your reason for removal. Standard forum TOS.

Yeah most forums don't allow members to delete their own content. Some forums may allow members to delete their own threads, but it's rare. Just mention that you want posts/threads deleted and a moderator or admin can delete it for you.

We did before but there was some strange stuff happening both from real members and spambots. So we restricted edit and delete all together. Rest assured, if you want something deleted we will usually allow it for 99% of the times. Just hit that report button and it will be gone in no time. :)

We did before but there was some strange stuff happening both from real members and spambots. So we restricted edit and delete all together. Rest assured, if you want something deleted we will usually allow it for 99% of the times. Just hit that report button and it will be gone in no time. :)
I never like removing my posts anyway, I want to keep all my posts counts :p

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest