Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Why do so many graduates refuse to learn a profitable skill?

Exactly, things have changed. Like in my country before if you are a graduate you can be sure of getting a good job, but right now there are no jobs even the available jobs can only be gotten through connections. So most business you see today are not even based on what they studied, they are just skills they picked up along the way to create a source of income for themselves
True, they graduate and don't get tenure related employment, unless as you describe, with connections. These are situations that occur in many countries. Graduates are forced to develop other skills to generate earnings.

Advertisement Placeholder
Having a good paying job that has security of tenure is the aspiration of college students here. The business minded students are a minority here. If given a choice more students will want to have a business but what's holding them is the capital. That is why only the rich kids can fulfill their desire to have a business of their own.

I loved this @Nomad "Education helps you get a job, but education doesn't guarantee employment" Because it's toalmete true, and it's a serious mistake that graduates make. After graduating from college, employers ask for specific experience and skills in the field or subject.
Education is basically a way to improve your knowledge, however, you need training to learn skills. You need education as well as skills to get a good paying job.

I am a graduate and I think I can answer the question using my own personal experience, graduates don't want to learn profitable skills because we believe in white collar job after graduating we believe learning skills are meant for people that didn't go to school, but we are wrong because most of us are now forced to start learning the skill after graduation because there's no job out there and we have to face the reality.
Thank you for being honest with your answer. Even now that I'm in school I'm trying to diversify so I can learn things outside my field of study.

The rate of unemployment seems to be increasing as time goes on, and this is mainly because so many graduates didn't bother to learn a profitable skill because they were thinking about securing a well paying job upon graduation, only to be disappointed at the end.

Why do you think graduates don't want to learn profitable skills that would make them to b independent.
They believe they went to the best college institution, as such they deserve white collar job alone and not blue collar jobs, that's why some are suffering cos of such decision.

Those that don't learn a particular skill and depends on the government for employment are lacking in the society because not all government system works especially where am from.

It's high time graduates put down their pride and make themselves available to learn one or two skills out there because this can really be of benefit to them than going about looking for white collar jobs that are already in scarse supply

We (graduates ) has been told we will always get a better white collar job when we finishes our higher institution course ,so learning a trade is not on the list for most graduates

Graduates do not like to learn a skill because it is like a given that it's drop outs or people who couldn't go to school that go for skill training but that is changing now.

Education is basically a way to improve your knowledge, however, you need training to learn skills. You need education as well as skills to get a good paying job.
That is education, the acquisition of knowledge in different subjects. However, the practice of such knowledge and the development of skills is essential to reach your full potential.

Education is the only tool to improve your lifestyle. However, in most cases university degree may not be enough, you might need vocational skills to get a job

The industry needs will definitely determine the need for a skill and manpower to maned the industry,if the structure favoures skilled trainings then such industry will just go directily to recruit personel and train them in line with their standard,while the graduate effort at school will just be in vain.

Because them feel like been graduate is not important to add profitable skills to their self, but is good as a graduate to add skills so that it will help one to get job.

They refuse to learn because they are waiting for a white collar job and this is why many of them are unemployed till today

I doubt if many graduate refused to learn profitable skills. While in school, they probably had little or no time for learning skills due to their academic work.

Those that don't learn a particular skill and depends on the government for employment are lacking in the society because not all government system works especially where am from.
The competition in government sectors is too much and this makes everything very complicated for those who are interested in getting white collar jobs.

The rate of unemployment seems to be increasing as time goes on, and this is mainly because so many graduates didn't bother to learn a profitable skill because they were thinking about securing a well paying job upon graduation, only to be disappointed at the end.

Why do you think graduates don't want to learn profitable skills that would make them to b independent.
I once have a boss who once said he regretted to be sarcastic about he's lifestyle in school because then he was to learned on learning, having degrees and the rest but his colleagues then were doing other things out side school fetching them money... today they are well established.

They refuse to learn because they are waiting for a white collar job and this is why many of them are unemployed till today
I totally agree with you @Nicklas22, I think that is the main reason, many of the graduates only hope to get a good position at the executive level. The above makes them conceive of waiting for the time to come when their services are requested, before taking the time to learn a skill or two.

I can't really blame most graduate that cant or don't wanna learn a new skills though, because is not easy to pass through so much stress in this country but at the end you go and learn some kind of skills again.

I can't really blame most graduate that cant or don't wanna learn a new skills though, because is not easy to pass through so much stress in this country but at the end you go and learn some kind of skills again.
I agree with you though, in our country there are so many stressful situations that you won't find it easy combining your education with learning a skill.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds