Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Where's a good spot for cheap dot coms?

Jason

Royal member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
Do you feel going there is worth it, considering other things? Well, just cause a place has the cheapest dot coms doesn't mean it's a good choice, necessarily. For instance, if you have to pay more for a .com, but get some free or cheap benefits, then why not pay the larger price? Would you agree? Anyway, a lot of people have such brand loyalty that they'd rather stick with what they have despite the larger price and/or lack of benefits.

Hosts sometimes will allow you to get a free domain name, so in reality if you're paying a small fee for hosting for a year that would be the cheapest way to get a dot com domain. I usually just wait for deals on Namecheap and get my domain names that way.

So far best place I have found to register/renew a domain is with CloudFlare. And the perks you get are the rest of the use of the free CloudFlare infrastructure.

Ionos.com has a good deal on .coms and other extensions, but it's more like a loan. The renewals seem quite steep, but if it could be worth the trouble.

Ionos.com has a good deal on .coms and other extensions, but it's more like a loan. The renewals seem quite steep, but if it could be worth the trouble.
I use their hosting and it is cheap upfront but the renewal fees are a tad bit pricey.

Do they kiss you as they bend you over for the renewals of a COM domain?
For what they charge you for 1 year renewal I can get 2 years at CloudFlare and have a few pennies left over!

Do they kiss you as they bend you over for the renewals of a COM domain?
For what they charge you for 1 year renewal I can get 2 years at CloudFlare and have a few pennies left over!
Yeah, but Ionos is charging $1 for getting a .com.

Yeah, but Ionos is charging $1 for getting a .com.
Fine if you are only going to keep it for one year... but if you want it longer and going to stay with them, hope they provide a quality lube. :ROFLMAO:
And you will STILL be behind $3 by getting their "sucker you in" $1 price if you stick with them. If they allow you to move the domain after the first year that would be a good deal as get it with them and then move to CloudFlare for the cheaper renewal... but I have a feeling they are probably one of those that lock you in with a hidden clause in their agreement, much like some shared hosting providers do that sell you a package deal of hosting, domain, etc. You don't read the fine print and then you find out that THEY actually own the domain and not you and you are welcome to move elsewhere... minus the domain name that you worked to get traffic to and SEO presence.

Fine if you are only going to keep it for one year... but if you want it longer and going to stay with them, hope they provide a quality lube. :ROFLMAO:
And you will STILL be behind $3 by getting their "sucker you in" $1 price if you stick with them. If they allow you to move the domain after the first year that would be a good deal as get it with them and then move to CloudFlare for the cheaper renewal... but I have a feeling they are probably one of those that lock you in with a hidden clause in their agreement, much like some shared hosting providers do that sell you a package deal of hosting, domain, etc. You don't read the fine print and then you find out that THEY actually own the domain and not you and you are welcome to move elsewhere... minus the domain name that you worked to get traffic to and SEO presence.
Not everybody is into savings. Anyway, a domain extension isn't much money, though. I mean, if I had no credit and someone gave me a car and I had to pay a lot later, I might highly consider it.

Not everybody is into savings. Anyway, a domain extension isn't much money, though. I mean, if I had no credit and someone gave me a car and I had to pay a lot later, I might highly consider it.
yeah, some folks don't mind wasting money, whereas others look at it as a business and try to minimize their out of pocket expense and maximize their returns. I guess paying 50% than you had to is not that big of a deal to you.
To use your example... by your argument you would rather pay $100 for your first car payment then have to pay $200+ from then on instead of paying $150 for your first car payment and then every payment after being $150. Draw that out over 5 years and see how much extra you ended up spending. Here, I'll do it for you... that's right around $3000 you would not have spent otherwise.
We have a car lot down the road that caters to folks with your attitude. Amazingly, many of those cars end up back on the lot as a repossession. They get into one for something like $50-$100... and then reality bites them.

Money is money. If you have it to waste, great, it must be nice to not have to worry about paying your bills because you have an endless source of it.

Folks get suckered in by the $1 price tag is what those places bank on, and then the user being to ignorant to look at TCO instead of "first cost out of pocket".

NameCheap is just as bad with their hosting. They sucker you in for a low price then increase your next year 50%.
I know one guy that hopped around each year to a new hosting plan from them and simply changing the domain name up a letter or so because he was too cheap to pay the renewal for either, it was all about "I can get it cheap for the first year".

yeah, some folks don't mind wasting money, whereas others look at it as a business and try to minimize their out of pocket expense and maximize their returns. I guess paying 50% than you had to is not that big of a deal to you.
To use your example... by your argument you would rather pay $100 for your first car payment then have to pay $200+ from then on instead of paying $150 for your first car payment and then every payment after being $150. Draw that out over 5 years and see how much extra you ended up spending. Here, I'll do it for you... that's right around $3000 you would not have spent otherwise.
We have a car lot down the road that caters to folks with your attitude. Amazingly, many of those cars end up back on the lot as a repossession. They get into one for something like $50-$100... and then reality bites them.

Money is money. If you have it to waste, great, it must be nice to not have to worry about paying your bills because you have an endless source of it.

Folks get suckered in by the $1 price tag is what those places bank on, and then the user being to ignorant to look at TCO instead of "first cost out of pocket".

NameCheap is just as bad with their hosting. They sucker you in for a low price then increase your next year 50%.
I know one guy that hopped around each year to a new hosting plan from them and simply changing the domain name up a letter or so because he was too cheap to pay the renewal for either, it was all about "I can get it cheap for the first year".
We should always try to be wise with money. However, like with other things in life, being human sets in.

Oh man... I got quite a belly laugh out of a few of those "deals" over at Ionos.
Can you imaging the surprise of someone who did not look closely at the deal when their second year rolled around!

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 8.20.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 8.22.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 8.23.41 PM.png

One nice thing is it looks like you can buy it there (didn't dig deep enough to see if you needed to buy hosting also) and they do not have any rights to the domain. So buy it at the cheap and then transfer it over to another registrar before it expires.

Upon payment in full of any and all registration fees, IONOS shall not own or otherwise legally control any domain name registered on your behalf.
But then shortly on down this concerns me somewhat.
3.2.2. You acknowledge and agree that IONOS or its agents, assignees or licensees may associate any data of any kind, in IONOS’s sole discretion, with the Domain Name registered in association with Your Web Site or any URL incorporating said Domain Name until you replace such data with Your Web Site, at such times as Your Web Site is no longer available, and upon termination for any reason, for as long as IONOS or IONOS’s agent, assignee or licensee continue to be listed as the hosting entity with the domain name registry used to register such Domain Name. This paragraph shall apply to any and all web pages generated by IONOS or its affiliates, including but not limited to 404 error pages.

Ahhh... the reading of those pesky things called terms of service. Kind of like reading the instruction manual when you buy something new, most don't.

One thing I like about CloudFlare is they don't stick any additional fees onto the cost. Whatever the TLD maintainer charges is what you pay.

Last edited:
I always go to namecheap when registering a dot com domain. It is the best place to get a dot com for a discounted price.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor