Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General What would you do if your favorite forum shut down?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.

Ravenfreak

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Just a hypothetical question, but I'm sure this has happened to a few of us in the past. What would you do if your favorite forum was to shut down? Would you take the initiative to see if you could gain the database and keep it going? Would you go out of your way to start your own forum to continue what the previous admins left behind? Or would you just choose to remember the good times you had on that forum and go your separate ways? When Titans Go was getting ready to shut down, a user called Nightwire started his own forum called TGN Memory, I eventually became his secondary admin to help him get things set up. I'm glad we decided to do this, even though Taptalk now owns the host he went with. TGN went down, then an archive was uploaded but it too wasn't up for too long and now it's gone. All the transcripts for Teen Titans was on the website, but thankfully since we started the new forum those transcripts are still online. I just wish all my posts were still available...

When this happened to me in the past, that was my motivating factor for starting my own. I reached out to as many of the former members as I could and together we created a new home for our niche community. Still going strong 17 years later.

This happened quite a lot back in the days of InvisionFree and Zetaboards. It usually doesn't work out. While you may try to move the community elsewhere, it's often not the same vibe.

On the other hand, I've also seen it happening where it's a bigger success than before. So, I think when you'd do this, you have a 50% success rate.

It's been years since I've been attached to any other forum. I think it happened 2 or 3 times where I'd do anything for that forum even when it wasn't mine. But this scenario never popped up.

I would probably try and find other communities to frequent at, or create my own envision of my favorite community that closed down. I'm sure your favorite forum is very hard to replace, but there are so many out there available that you're at least likely to find some that are likable. If I can't find one or I fail at creating my own envision of the community it's not the end of the world. Things change and you just have to move on sometimes.

I have been posting on forums since 2015 and a lot of forums where I had created thousands of posts have vanished. It certainly makes me sad as my effort on producing content for forums went in vain.

I'd just be meh, wouldn't even bother me these days if my own vanished. Kinda bored of forums if I'm honest.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest