Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What to use (default avatar) (1 Viewer)

Default user avatar choice for astronomy/astrophotography site

• Total voters

Tracy

Royal member
Bronze Member
Credits
I've been rocking a form of avatar 1 since the site went up, and it tends to blend well with both the dark and light backgrounds. I kind of like it because the spread arms emphasizes taking in the cosmos.
BUT... and there is always a but involved (or butt in my case!).... I've been thinking about getting a new default avatar set up.
Leaning towards one of the other two if I don't keep the avatar 1. Avatar 4 was thrown in as an outlier.

I freely acknowledge I am somewhat (or actually a whole lot) artistically challenged... so here's the chance for folks to chime in!

defaul_avatar.jpg

AW_default_1.jpg

AW_default_2.jpg

aw_default_4.jpg

Last edited:
I run circular avatars on the site, so to give a little more realistic look this is what most would appear like.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 11.29.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 11.30.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 11.30.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 3.23.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 3.24.00 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 3.24.07 AM.png

Last edited:
I'm digging Avatar 1, I love the hues of green in the background it looks the coolest out of all them!

AW_default_1.jpg
I like this one the best as a graphic.

I like this one the best as an avatar.

I prefer the 3rd frame more. It's a beauty.

1. Would definitely encourage you to ask your members the same question for a better response.

2. My personal suggestion is to go with something where:
- The design is clear, easy, and simple. Avatars are fairly small, and if there's too much noise going on either with multiple colors or multiple elements, it can look very busy. This is especially important if you're using this as the default, since it's likely to appear several times in a typical forum.
- The design incorporates the image of a telescope. From what I've gathered, your community actually focuses more on the equipment for stargazing photography - which is best represented by the symbol of a telescope - rather than the celestial elements, which could be represented by symbols such as shooting stars, galaxies, twinkling lights, etc. (I took a quick peek at your forum index, and out of your 12 Recent Topics, it looked like 9 of them were solidly focused on equipment).
- You think about unifying your ico, logo, and default avatar. You have a really unique and fun niche here, and you can use this as an opportunity to refresh multiple design elements of your community.

Odd one out, I tend to see 5 and 7 as more appropriate for a suitable avatar as neutral enough to convey the no personal avatar status and if they think it's too impersonal, encourage them to get one.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor