Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What to do when you have DDoS attack?

Before I went back to XF and when I was using WP, I had considered getting the APO plan for 5/mo, but now, I have no need for that, and I don't need the features of the Pro plan until the traffic picks up big time.

Pro plan until the traffic picks up big time.
If talking CF, you may not even need it then. There are a few larger sites running just fine under the free tier.
If you need more WAF rules, page rules, Polish and features like that, then yes, the paid is worth it. But usually you can get by with judicious planning for the WAF rules (5 free with something like 2000 entries in each).
Some of the products don't even require a "paid plan" as they can be purchased as add-ons (Argo routing is one such example).

If talking CF, you may not even need it then. There are a few larger sites running just fine under the free tier.
If you need more WAF rules, page rules, Polish and features like that, then yes, the paid is worth it. But usually you can get by with judicious planning for the WAF rules (5 free with something like 2000 entries in each).
Some of the products don't even require a "paid plan" as they can be purchased as add-ons (Argo routing is one such example).
Yea, Polish may be nice, but it will not be needed much longer IMO. Once 2.3 comes out, WebP support will exist, and with TL's image optimizer (who will hopefully add webp support as well) should be a much cheaper option. Maybe in the future, if ever needed, could get 5 additional waf rules for 5/mo and not need the full pro plan, true.

It's rarely the site admins issue.. the "issue" is the resources it starts impacting and how it impacts other sites on that hosting... happen often enough so that it degrades other sites... you can expect a boot. Been that way on shared hosting and VPS's for as long as I can remember.
John is far too gracious to boot someone for something beyond their control. That's another thing I like about Jcink, a caring owner.

John is far too gracious to boot someone for something beyond their control. That's another thing I like about Jcink, a caring owner.
I can promise you.. no matter how gracious he is.. if the attack gets big enough that it affects others on the service... he won't have an option but to cut the plug, if only for a short time) but null routing the traffic.

I can promise you.. no matter how gracious he is.. if the attack gets big enough that it affects others on the service... he won't have an option but to cut the plug, if only for a short time) but null routing the traffic.
I mean, he did actually have to turn my board "offline" on the server-side end of the spectrum, but he definitely had no intention of booting me from my board completely.

I mean, he did actually have to turn my board "offline" on the server-side end of the spectrum, but he definitely had no intention of booting me from my board completely.
yah... most hosts will put up with a time or two (or three) but if it becomes a repeating pattern... they honestly aren't left with much choice other than to null route the site for an extended period of time or to simply suggest that other hosting is found that can deal with the issue more adequately. Your site is simply one of many on theirs... and having a site degrade others is not "good" for the overall environment.

yah... most hosts will put up with a time or two (or three) but if it becomes a repeating pattern... they honestly aren't left with much choice other than to null route the site for an extended period of time or to simply suggest that other hosting is found that can deal with the issue more adequately. Your site is simply one of many on theirs... and having a site degrade others is not "good" for the overall environment.
I can understand that, but hopefully, just like people you ban who keep registering, people who DDoS a site will go away eventually. I don't mind the DDoS protection he put on my site, but I think after getting a topic deleted of mine on another site which I believe to be the foundation of the DDoS attacks, the person stopped the attacks.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor