Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management What keeps you coming back? And when do you walk away?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
We've all been part of various online communities, and we've seen some thrive while others slowly fade away. What keeps us engaged in a community, and when do we decide it's time to move on? Let's dive into the heart of the matter and discuss what we, as members, truly expect from a community.

Community Engagement
  1. Relevant Content: As a member, I expect the community to provide me with valuable and relevant content. Whether it's the latest trends in a specific subject, advice on personal development, or general knowledge sharing, the community should be a source of useful information.
  2. Active Participation: A thriving community is one where members actively participate in discussions, answer questions, and share their insights. I want to feel like my contributions are valued and that I'm part of a dynamic group.
  3. Respectful Environment: Respect is key. I expect the community to maintain a respectful and inclusive environment. Nobody wants to be part of a place where negativity or discrimination is tolerated.
Connection and Support
  1. Networking Opportunities: Being able to connect with like-minded individuals is a big draw. I look for opportunities to network, collaborate, and potentially make new friends or professional connections.
  2. Supportive Community: Life has its ups and downs, and I appreciate a community that's there to offer support and advice when I face challenges, whether they're related to my interests or personal matters.
Quality of Moderation
  1. Effective Moderation: A community without effective moderation can quickly become chaotic. I expect the moderators to maintain order, enforce rules fairly, and ensure that discussions stay on topic.
  2. Transparency: Transparency in moderation decisions is essential. When actions are taken against members, it should be clear why and how it aligns with community guidelines.
The Breaking Point
  1. Neglect: If I notice that a community is neglected by its administrators or that the quality of content and discussions deteriorates significantly, it's a strong signal for me to consider moving on.
  2. Toxicity: If a community becomes toxic, where negativity and hostility dominate, I'd rather leave than subject myself to that kind of environment.
  3. Irrelevance: If the community no longer provides value or the content no longer aligns with my interests or needs, I may decide it's time to explore other options.
Now, what about you? As a member, what are your expectations from a community? When would you stop caring and visiting the community? Share your thoughts, experiences, and any tips you have for building and sustaining a thriving online community. Let's keep the discussion going!

For me if the conversations going on in the community are welcoming and are entertaining and helpful I will continue to engage in that community. If I notice that there's not as much new content being added by both the staff or members, then I will eventually slowly stop coming back to the community. I also find myself sometimes getting overwhelmed with the number of communities I join sometimes, so then I'll only focus on logging into a few every day. Eventually I'll log into communities I haven't checked in a while just to see what's different.

As a member, my expectations from a community include a supportive environment, active engagement, and valuable discussions. I would stop caring and visiting if the community became toxic or irrelevant to my interests. To build a thriving online community, encouraging participation, fostering a sense of belonging, providing meaningful content, and establishing clear guidelines for respectful behavior are necessary.

I keep coming back for a variety of reasons, but my utmost reason would probably be because it's a topic of great interest to me. I have a coding/resource board because it's one of my primary hobbies of life, so I keep it going and continue to provide for those in need with my skillset. I love forum web mastering, so I continue to stick around Admin Junkies due to the atmosphere and vibes it gives to me and fellow webmasters in a supportive, vast environment.

Of course, activity is what keeps me coming back, because if a forum were dead I'd essentially be talking to myself. But, I do admire a site that has a nice overall layout and design.

What keeps me away from a forum is toxicity, especially if it's coming from the staff members, or if they're control freaks. If a forum doesn't have enough activity where I can participate at least weekly, then it's probably not worth my time to stick around. If the forum is being run under spam and trolls, that's another reason for me to leave if the staff aren't taking care of the forum.

The importance of active participation in forums and communities cannot be overemphasized. I have joined a few forums that started out well with good interactions, but along the line it just died down for whatever reason. Now you won't expect anyone to still hang around such a forum.
I dipped too, in case you are wondering 😃

I left an X-men rp site because I found out that the admins were straight up bullies and cherry picked what profiles got looked at first. The staff were sooooo toxic.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest