Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Thoughts on XenForo?

Arariel

Website
w11.zetaboards.com
Credits
What do you think of this software? Do you like it?

I'm not a fan of it at all. Not only due to its appearance and design, but just how it's laid out. The MCP is non existent, and the ACP is just a mess. Some XenForo forums such as this one was designed quite nicely, but most XenForo forums I can't stand.

Advertisement Placeholder
Its quite attractive but im so attached with MyBB.

XenForum has many similarity with MyBB, I wonder why..

I've never owned a forum using XenForo. I've been a member on some forums using it but never owned one. As far as being a member on one, it isn't bad. It's been simple enough to use from a member's stand point but I can't comment on it as far as an administrator or owner.

I've never owned an XenForo forum either but I believe it's as good as they come now adays and is one of the best if not best forum software currently. I love the elegant feel of XenForo and it is highly modifiable with lots of exclusive and cool features that you simply can't miss out on.

:sleepy:

If only I could afford Xenforo and the custom theme we would need, and all the plugins that cost money. lol. If it was cheaper and the resources were a bit cheaper, I think I would make the jump however for now it's one of those softwares that I want but cannot get. lol

I have 2 licenses and never paid for either both were gifts for making people themes. I have to say that is good but I would rather go free than pay for it. Sorry I do pay for it since I pay $40 a year for upgrades.

I have 2 licenses and never paid for either both were gifts for making people themes. I have to say that is good but I would rather go free than pay for it. Sorry I do pay for it since I pay $40 a year for upgrades.

I used to be a Vbulletin fan, but I like the simplicity of XF, as well as how easy it is to customize a theme and add customizations. So Im drifting over to XF, just hope they dont make the same mistakes VB5 did.

If you ever wanna sell one of those licenses Im your guy :p

Xenforo is pretty simply I do agree with you there, I have never tried VB from and admin point but I heard it's a little complex.

let me put it this way, It took me about a month to figure out how to customize my VB style, took me about a day to learn how to customize my XF style.

Installing modifications, and creating forums are basically the same, just more bulk options with XF!

oh yeah, with extra.css you can do basically anything :) I used it to change my forum icons before they had the modification :)

I can't have an opinion from an administrative point of view because I haven't owned or administrated a XenForo forum so far, but as a user, I'm not very fond of it. I don't like the overall appearance. Some XenForo themes are quite nice, but most of the ones I have seen don't really suit my taste. Personally, I don't know if I would use XenForo myself for one of my communities.

I'm not sure why so many people dislike it. I love it. I know it's the best software on the market if you have the money. The only issue I ever had was when I deleted the footer here. Other than that I've never had a problem. :D

I actually noticed a lot of the forums I have been a part of the last few years run with Xenforo including this one. I have not really seen another one I like more. Sorry for the bump here. For those that use it, are they any downsides?

I'm not sure why so many people dislike it.

I personally love XF but my guess on why people dislike it at first is: Out of the box it isn't the best. The default theme isn't the greatest, also you need to adjust a lot of settings and install a few add-ons to make it great.

I've tried many forum software available on the market, and by far, xenForo has the best designed Forum Software on the market today. Not even Internet Brands' ownership of vBulletin has outshined it. In fact, it's a shame the king has fallen that hard.

I started with forums in 2001. I've tried iKonBoards (loved one of the skins, and I wanted to launch a site powered by it), then I discovered Burning Board, which powered one of the sites that I had minority ownership in, then I discovered phpbb and ended up not liking it, at all. I discovered vBulletin since everyone was using it. vB2 was just awesome, then vB3 came. Few years afterwards, I discovered a bunch of stupid free forums, then discovered IPB, never liked it. Then I discovered SMF, which is the most stupidest forum software I've ever witnessed or used. Just stupid. Not so simple, is it? SMF? IPB is right up there, but it does some things better than SMF or iKonBoards. I discovered PunBB, was eh, meh. Nothing special.

I've been attending ForumCon for a few years now, and I discovered Forums.net, Vanilla Forums, Discourse, and ProBoards. None of them has done anything like xenForo.

I gave vBulletin a chance to redeem themselves until the vB4.1.4 update. That was it. I fought with the IB staff over it, and then everything snowballed from there and they refunded me. vB5 while it looked nice on paper, was and still is coded horridly. I laugh at sites that use vB5 nowdays. They're vulnerable.

xenForo's only weakness is the moderation team. Sorry, but true. I've been a member of the community since 10-20 days after the launch, I even was one of the beta testers, always gave them honest feedback, suggestions, errors, etc. and the only thing they favor is the trolls.

Last edited:
I've used it on a couple of occasions and have been a member of several sites that use it. From both sides I have to say it is one of the better ones out there. There are many options for design and I found it to be quite user friendly.

I fell in love with XenForo a few years back when I joined this forum that used it. Every since, it is the only one I will use personally, and I will actually join a Xen powered forum over another because I like it that much more than others.

Right now I think it is the best of the paid forum software out there. We'll see if that still holds true when the others decide to do a major upgrade. But for right now, I think they stand alone with all they offer.

Right now I think it is the best of the paid forum software out there. We'll see if that still holds true when the others decide to do a major upgrade. But for right now, I think they stand alone with all they offer.

I agree. I love it! And believe it's the best on the market.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds