Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Starting to have second thoughts?

Sinistra

The one and only!
Bronze Member
Website
www.anime-insight.net
So some people think that maybe moving their forum to a new script is a good thing. But what if that's a big mistake? how do you resolve the issue? As for me, I have thought that xenForo was good software for a hobbyist community. Now parts of me are starting to think I made the wrong choice. Do you go back to the old software? or do you stick it out? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

It mostly depends on what the negative reaction is, and whether you have any part of the userbase that likes it.

Because the reality is that what you need to do is encourage the supporters and let them be your advocates and cheerleaders - they'll bring along the rest. And if it's just about 'oh it looks different and things aren't where they used to be', people get used to that. Assuming the theme isn't eye-gougingly awful, people usually get over 'oh it looks different'.

The biggest kicker is when functionality people depend on, and often that you don't know about, goes missing, and with no sign of returning.

If there aren't a decent number of people who can be your cheerleaders, oftentimes the best thing to do *is* to go back. Just be honest with your memberbase - "we thought we'd make this move, we thought it'd give us xyz benefits, but it turns out it didn't work for us" - and usually people get it. But that stance rather relies on there being tangible xyz benefits that you think will benefit the community; I've seen too many cases of 'that site is popular, if I use what they use I'll be popular too' which isn't true.

Honestly, it's everyone's own opinion. I think each of the "big three" have their own pros & cons and honestly, I'm sure many people have regrets moving software at one point or another. Is there a definitive answer as to which is the best? No, but it really depends. I'd hate trying to go back to jcink after moving to XF but if you feel it's necessary for your own community, there's nothing wrong with that. :) Are there any particular things that are driving you towards second guessing your own actions in terms of moving the community to a different software?

Honestly, it's everyone's own opinion. I think each of the "big three" have their own pros & cons and honestly, I'm sure many people have regrets moving software at one point or another. Is there a definitive answer as to which is the best? No, but it really depends. I'd hate trying to go back to jcink after moving to XF but if you feel it's necessary for your own community, there's nothing wrong with that. :) Are there any particular things that are driving you towards second guessing your own actions in terms of moving the community to a different software?
Honestly? a few! I like the aspect of having a home page without having to use any third-party software (WordPress or any third-party modification), The gallery and other aspects I spent money on to get the community the way I want it, yet few things are coming in the new version that I don't think could benefit an anime community! although I could be wrong. It's all about how I want to run the community. I want an anime community where members can talk about anime, gaming, and other things. I think the fact that I have seen some xenForo communities that I thought Anime insight would be good on it. Granted the theming is easy I do enjoy that but I can make the same theme with Invision board. Now that I have spent the money on a xenForo I don't know what to do with it. I could use it for a new project.

Get feedback from your community. Ask them what they want. Hold a vote.
I think I might do that! if I get enough to go back to Invisoi I will

Honestly? a few! I like the aspect of having a home page without having to use any third-party software (WordPress or any third-party modification), The gallery and other aspects I spent money on to get the community the way I want it, yet few things are coming in the new version that I don't think could benefit an anime community! although I could be wrong. It's all about how I want to run the community. I want an anime community where members can talk about anime, gaming, and other things. I think the fact that I have seen some xenForo communities that I thought Anime insight would be good on it. Granted the theming is easy I do enjoy that but I can make the same theme with Invision board. Now that I have spent the money on a xenForo I don't know what to do with it. I could use it for a new project.

I think I might do that! if I get enough to go back to Invisoi I will
Do what you feel is right! Whatever you feel benefits your community, go with your gut feeling. Obviously, ask around and see what others think, but if you feel like that will benefit you the most, go with your gut after weighing the pros and cons.

But there are so many more than just the big three.
oh 100%. I just used that as a reference point because I didn't want to list out every single forum software. I think there's a ton of benefits to others, just haven't used them myself at any point aside from those select few and multiple different free softwares (self hosted and pre-hosted).

stick it out, its like when you get a new job, until you understand what you are doing it always sux, but as your knowledge and skill grows you will start to like it more...

Also, be sure that if you do change software, that you can fairly seamlessly import your members. Nothing is more infuriating than having to start all over again. Re-registering, re-creating posts, it's pointless and time consuming. I almost didn't rejoin a new forum I had just joined because I had to re-register and everything.

As an administrator, I've been down this road too. I had a database completely crash on me, and had to rebuild everything. It was a hassle for me as an [young] admin, but I know that I lost several members because of that crash, and I'm pretty sure they felt the way I mentioned above (as a member).

Edit: OH! And I thought I should mention that I like the new functionality better than the old one.

So some people think that maybe moving their forum to a new script is a good thing. But what if that's a big mistake? how do you resolve the issue? As for me, I have thought that xenForo was good software for a hobbyist community. Now parts of me are starting to think I made the wrong choice. Do you go back to the old software? or do you stick it out? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
I went from vBulletin 3 to Xenforo 1 quite a few years ago, and was very impressed. I now run a popular Xenforo 2 forum. I've never had to go back....

It mostly depends on what the negative reaction is, and whether you have any part of the userbase that likes it.

Because the reality is that what you need to do is encourage the supporters and let them be your advocates and cheerleaders - they'll bring along the rest. And if it's just about 'oh it looks different and things aren't where they used to be', people get used to that. Assuming the theme isn't eye-gougingly awful, people usually get over 'oh it looks different'.

The biggest kicker is when functionality people depend on, and often that you don't know about, goes missing, and with no sign of returning.

If there aren't a decent number of people who can be your cheerleaders, oftentimes the best thing to do *is* to go back. Just be honest with your memberbase - "we thought we'd make this move, we thought it'd give us xyz benefits, but it turns out it didn't work for us" - and usually people get it. But that stance rather relies on there being tangible xyz benefits that you think will benefit the community; I've seen too many cases of 'that site is popular, if I use what they use I'll be popular too' which isn't true.
This is the best advice imo.

There's no shame in admitting to a mistake. I have to do it all the time. :ROFLMAO: But really, you need to feel your community and their needs. A software doesn't usually break or make a community but it can definitely kill a community by changing too much. So be careful with that.

Always ask your community first and then see the results you get. If they say to stay, it's probably best to just stick with the platform you decided to move to. Sometimes it can be hard for people to adjust to a new layout, new software, etc and they may be a bit upset if you decide to switch software again.

While getting feedback from members is important and should be a part of your decision making, the bigger question to ask yourself is: what is your strategy?

To achieve that strategy, what technology features do I need? Do you only need a forum, in which case you can use many options? Or do you need a forum along with several other requirements, which reduces and clarifies what options are a good fit.

Let your vision and strategy dictate what technology solution you need.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Unread Posts

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations