Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Suggested add-ons for my Star Wars forum

Al

Get Boosted
Bronze Member
Credits
The forum is currently add-on free. It's a vanilla flavoured forum at the moment, just with a style applied. Take a look at tell me what add-ons - paid or free - you think I could use.

https://starwars.cafe

Thanks.

Definitely the TMDB add-ons like we discussed by Ozzy if you can afford them. $30 USD each.

Maybe Badges? Give out Star Wars icons to members? You could brainstorm that more but I think little icons of Porgs or whatever people can earn could be cool. Maybe have it set that they get an icon per however many posts you set? A Porg icon for posting 100 posts for example.

If you want to get into the "history" of Star Wars (characters, scripts, etc) you could also get something like Bob's Article Management System to create detailed articles with (which probably will rank better than forum posts also).
You can have a discussion area associated with each article for the users to talk about it.

Reactions: Al
Present the vision, the tools will come naturally. The simplicity is charming and any addition needs to sell itself. is it dedicated articles? Then a CMS may be worthwhile. Given the many flavors of the universe there maybe merits to badges and icons, or perhaps member generated groups to present their affiliations. Games, philosophies, obligatory 'retcon the sequels' group whatever. But the method is secondary to the intent, at least on matters of what to add...

I may as well note that a cafe, frequented already by jedi and sith and in betweens, is best presented neutral to these groups as far as possible. The staff are a background power, their word is law when it needs to be, but otherwise you have a host of brands and identities. Therefore distancing from jedi-specific terms, or the reverse, or designing based on any particular entry would be best in favor of more universal conventions and then user flair encouraged.

I would stay as you are and consider it as you grow, I mean do you really need to have add-ons ;) You can get them when it's needed as you grow and get the main ones that really going to be used.

Present the vision, the tools will come naturally. The simplicity is charming and any addition needs to sell itself. is it dedicated articles? Then a CMS may be worthwhile. Given the many flavors of the universe there maybe merits to badges and icons, or perhaps member generated groups to present their affiliations. Games, philosophies, obligatory 'retcon the sequels' group whatever. But the method is secondary to the intent, at least on matters of what to add...

I may as well note that a cafe, frequented already by jedi and sith and in betweens, is best presented neutral to these groups as far as possible. The staff are a background power, their word is law when it needs to be, but otherwise you have a host of brands and identities. Therefore distancing from jedi-specific terms, or the reverse, or designing based on any particular entry would be best in favor of more universal conventions and then user flair encouraged.
I agree. A decent CMS will do wonders. I personally have experienced the differences between Bob’s AMS and a WordPress website. While his add on is a better integration than any forum post or the article setup from XenForo, a WordPress website will still outrank the add on by miles. And as you have plenty experience @Al — I’d go for the WordPress. Just make sure you don’t break it. 👀 Your reputation precedes you. 🤣

The forum is currently add-on free. It's a vanilla flavoured forum at the moment, just with a style applied. Take a look at tell me what add-ons - paid or free - you think I could use.

https://starwars.cafe

Thanks.
Better use only add-ons that are for preventing spam on forum. Try to build the forum without a lot of fancy stuff.

The most underrated feature in XF is trophies, that is ignored by many. Use that feature to reward users.

We are using this trophies addon and level system. Rewarding users for their small efforts is beneficial for your forum. Many ignore this one basic feature within the software that can do wonders if used properly :)

Last edited:
I agree. A decent CMS will do wonders.
I already have three blogs so I want to avoid that if possible. Maybe in the future when the existing ones don't require as much content generation.

Better use only add-ons that are for preventing spam on forum. Try to build the forum without a lot of fancy stuff.
Totally no fancy stuff as yet and I don't have any concerns about spam yet either.
We are using this trophies addon and level system.
Is there some place I can see this in action?
Definitely the TMDB add-ons like we discussed by Ozzy if you can afford them. $30 USD each.
Those are certainly a consideration.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor