Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Staff Burnout

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
Credits
Have you ever experienced burn out on a forum, especially if you were a staff member? Has anything helped you with the burnout?

My suggestion as an administrator is to try and support staff members as much as you can. Provide guides/support to make sure they don't feel like they are alone. Rotating responsibilities can also help reduce and prevent burnout. Typically burn out happens when you feel like all the weight is on your shoulders, or perhaps you're wanting changes on a forum but they will not listen nor make any changes... It gets frustrating!

What could help support you with burn out? What is a better way for an admin to handle this possible stress?

If you're staff and you feel burnout coming, identify why you're feeling this way. It's also okay to take a day or a few days off, just be sure to let the other staff members know you will be absent for a bit. Taking a break is the best approach when dealing with burnout, but you don't want to be offline for too long.

Maybe hire someone to help him. No employee should be required to take on a job that has too many responsibilities. I am sure your company is rigid when it comes to paying or lateness things of that sort

so why not enforce stricter rules that keep employees' mental well-being? If he needs to work that many hours, maybe he needs the extra money...so how about giving him a raise given he is a reliable worker and all that?

I encourage LOAs when possible. Burnout isn't always because of work overload but also because of health crisis that can happen. When I experienced too much thyroid hormones at the beginning of the year, it affected me in many ways I didn't realize would happen. I'm back in my "sweet spot" now for my hormones but can now recognize when I need to get tested sooner.

Have you ever experienced burn out on a forum, especially if you were a staff member? Has anything helped you with the burnout?

My suggestion as an administrator is to try and support staff members as much as you can. Provide guides/support to make sure they don't feel like they are alone. Rotating responsibilities can also help reduce and prevent burnout. Typically burn out happens when you feel like all the weight is on your shoulders, or perhaps you're wanting changes on a forum but they will not listen nor make any changes... It gets frustrating!

What could help support you with burn out? What is a better way for an admin to handle this possible stress?
I think it starts before the person gets burned out. You need to outline clear responsibilities and that person needs to load balance with realistic expectations.

As a staff member? - Nope. As a member? - Yes! Because when I'm a member, I end up posting a lot on my favorite forums which sometimes becomes too much. The burnout gets so bad that I keep staring at a topic but nothing comes out of my mind. xD This doesn't happen as a staff member because my duties keep me busy and so I don't end up posting to the level I would get burned out. If you are someone who often get burned out, try to take breaks for few minutes once an hour. It really helps.

I faced it while I was running Madads( it was an advertising board on Invisionfree) and it unfortunately forced me to step down and close it . I didn't feel I could take any real break or a LOA as I was the only admin on the board as the owner made it known I wasn't to promote people to admin which I understood and respected their wishes. The owner of the board was a great person and leader but over time no longer had the time to probably run it so I was essentially tasked with all the day to day operations that was normally done with 4 admins which I had to managed to do for 16 months while also being admin at two other boards, staff on a third, and holding a full time RL job. At this point, you are probably wondering how the hell anyone could manage to do all of that for that long without cracking and I couldn't say how I pulled it off. lol

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor