Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Social Media Login?

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Do you have a social media sign up login option on your community? Well, I have never used this option but I have used the social media sign-up option and logged in through social media accounts on a couple of forums and I later had to disconnect my social accounts with these forums because I was worried that my data would be stolen. Do you consider this as a safe practice? IN case you have used this feature, what social site were you using for sign up and login?

I have it as an option, yea. But they can also register normally if they'd prefer. So, they can do a regular registration, a social login, or regular registration and connect socials afterwards.

I myself have only 2 sites. On the public one I use Google to make registration easier for the users in addition to the normal method.

The other one is a kind of resource-site/database for a Discord server and there the login just forces itself. There you can also login ONLY via Discord, not otherwise.

I don’t have them on my sites but I’ve used apple login and Google login to signup to sites before, really convenient for some stuff, but prefer to just email normally my self.

I do the main ones (Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Microsoft) but I also do GitHub since many in this field also have pursuits relayed there.

I've never logged in with social media. I have seen sites use this system though of course. I could see if you lose access to your social media because of the social media being hacked - that could cause a problem.

We have a social media sign-up option available on Revillution but I have not implemented it into Chat Addicts at the moment.

For Revillution, it makes sense due to the niche of the site. I guess with Chat Addicts it will work and is something to consider but I have not yet thought about adding that option yet.

Linked in is a nightmare... apparently they want you to have a "business page" to create an app that will allow THEIR users to sign into your site... sorry... don't need to be a show dog jumping through the hoops. You want your users to have the benefit of using their accounts at other places to log in... make the app creation/linking less "dog & pony show". Not something that most in my niche would ever use, and I was checking it out to provide assistance to a user over on the XF site.
I mean really.... you gotta create a business page.. then you have to associate some other LinkedIn users with that business page apparently... THEN you finally can get through the hallowed gates of app creation.
Not worth it for me...

We have a social media sign-up option available on Revillution but I have not implemented it into Chat Addicts at the moment.

For Revillution, it makes sense due to the niche of the site. I guess with Chat Addicts it will work and is something to consider but I have not yet thought about adding that option yet.
I say it's cool to do it however for me Twitter is down since they are X and FB is not working for me LOL so that's a bang for me at the moment. Not saying it would work out for you LOL

I usually never have social media login enabled on my communities. I know it's convenient for new members to be able to sign up and log in using their social media account, but I feel like most of us who use forums don't even bother much with social media other than to maybe keep in touch with family and friends and that's it.

I don't like to login with my social media to any website, I rather to have those things separated. For the same reason, I have never used it for my users to login/register on my sites with social media.
My 2 cents: What I do instead, I have dedicated some short domains with global email filters/forwarder to make me emails on the fly to sign up on websites. And I use a completely new/never used before email address for each site I join. That way i know where I used that email and if my email has been sold :) My main email is more organized than ever by doing this alone.

It's simply one more (effective?) method of easing the onboarding of users. I personally don't use it because I have email identities for various uses.. but others may not.
If your script doesn't offer the ability... maybe it's behind the times?

It's simply one more (effective?) method of easing the onboarding of users. I personally don't use it because I have email identities for various uses.. but others may not.
If your script doesn't offer the ability... maybe it's behind the times?
I'm no big fan however it makes it easy for people to join, It's catch a fast way :p Once it's setup right and works it's smooth. ALso if it's setup any content feed from your RSS or even if members post something on FB via a tag then it gets posted on both sides.

Depends on what FOurm software you use and what it offers.

or even if members post something on FB via a tag then it gets posted on both sides.
unless an add-on or "tweak' is being used that specifically allows this (as a user option).. this should not be happening by default. If it is.. it's a design defect in the script.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor