Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should you force new members to introduce themselves?

Screenshot_104.png
So, imagine this: you're thinking about making it mandatory for your members to introduce themselves before diving into other sections. It's like a little "hello, it's me" moment. Here's the scoop on the pros and cons:

On the bright side, introductions can do some cool stuff. They help build a sense of community by bringing people closer together. Who doesn't want that warm fuzzy feeling? Plus, when folks reveal a bit about themselves, it adds a personal touch and can spark engaging discussions. It's like a virtual icebreaker!

Breaking the ice

Picture this: You walk into a wild party where you don't know a single soul. You're eager to join the fun, but hey, it's a tad intimidating, right? You're like, "Will they like me? Will I fit in?" Totally relatable. When newbies join online communities, they go through the same deal. They crave an ice-breaker, a chance to be introduced or to introduce themselves without breaking a sweat. It's all about feeling comfy and finding their groove. Just like at a party, we want everyone to have a blast in the online realm too!

The introduction Forum

I think it is important for new online communities to have a place where members can introduce themselves, or be introduced.
There are two ways of doing this:

1) Keep an eye on the member list and introduce new members

Keep your eyes on that member list and give newbies a warm welcome! Create a snazzy thread in the introductions section just for them. Show 'em some love and kindly invite them to spill the beans about themselves. To make sure they don't miss it, shoot them a friendly private message with a link to their personal introduction thread. It's like a VIP treatment!

The only thing to watch out for is staying vigilant. You (or your awesome staff) need to keep a close eye on new members joining, so nobody gets left out. It takes a bit more time and effort since you have to manually monitor, create threads, and send welcoming messages. But hey, it's worth it to make newcomers feel like the rock stars they are!

2) Have an introduction forum

Here, newbies can take the spotlight and start their very own thread to introduce themselves. They get to call the shots and share their story if they feel like it. It's like their grand entrance on the virtual stage!

But here's the dealio: Having an introductions forum ain't gonna cut it if you and your members don't embrace the newbies. Remember, it's all about the warm welcome vibes! Not everyone will be gung-ho about greeting every single new member, but some will and some should. At the very least, publicly accept and acknowledge those brave souls who put themselves out there.

Wether you choose the red carpet or the introductions forum, just make sure new members feel the love. That's their reward for stepping into the spotlight: the sweet embrace of acceptance. Keep spreading those good vibes!

Introduce yourself or be gone!

But hold up, you maybe were wondering to make it mandatory? There are some downsides too. Requiring intros could scare off potential members, acting as a pesky barrier to joining the fun. Some folks value their online privacy and may hesitate to share personal info. We gotta respect that. There are people who register to lurk and lurk only.

One more thing to consider: intros might not be foolproof. People can still be sneaky or misbehave, even after introducing themselves. It's like a hidden trapdoor in the introduction world.

So before making this call, take a good look at your forum's goals and vibe. Sometimes intros work like magic, while other times, alternative approaches might be better suited.

A pro-active alternative

I've got a pro-active alternative for ya when it comes to member intros.

Instead of giving 'em a nudge, let's create an inviting atmosphere where introductions happen naturally. Here's how:

1) Spice up that welcome email:
When new members join, jazz up that standard welcome email. Add a special touch by including a link to the introductions thread. Give 'em a friendly nudge to introduce themselves and join the party. It's like a virtual handshake with a twist!

2) Send a secret message:
Go undercover and send a private message to those fresh faces. Give 'em a warm welcome to the forum and extend an invitation to introduce themselves. It's like passing a secret note in class, but way cooler!

3) Profile message:
If your forum has a profile function like we do on XenForo, make a public welcome to their profile page, asking if they are comfortable enough to make an introduction. I guarantee this method works like a charm.

4) Embrace the intro stars:
Now, here's the important part. Make sure those who take the plunge and introduce themselves feel like rockstars. Get your community managers and moderators to welcome them with open arms. And let's not stop there! Encourage other members to join in the fun and welcome the newest additions. It's like a big virtual group hug!

Remember, we want introductions to flow naturally and create a friendly vibe. No forcing, just encouraging. So go ahead, give 'em a nudge in the right direction and let the welcoming spirit take over. Cheers to a lively and inclusive forum!

Your thoughts

Do you think members should be forced to introduce themselves before being able to access or post in other areas of the community? Have you tried this approach yourself? How did it work? Share your thoughts, ideas and experiences by leaving a comment below.

Last edited:
I don't force my members to introduce themselves, I think most people usually start off by making a introduction topic. However, if I noticed that someone has joined and hasn't made a introduction topic within at least a day after registering, I'll created one and tag the member in the thread. This way, they can tell the community a bit about themselves. I know some communities have a bot that will create a welcome thread whenever a new member joins.

I wouldn’t make anything a have to on forums. Forums are what the users make of them. As an administrator or even a contributor to a forum in some form, you want everyone to feel welcome. Sometimes people don’t enjoy saying hello first. I enjoy reaching out to new members because you can be part of the first impression of the community.

I like the profile comment feature. I have used personal messaging before - but I don’t always prefer using the pm system. Sometimes it can come off as “cold” or too personal and people can sometimes not enjoy that.

No way would I force this on someone!! I've had members who sign up on Christianity Haven just so they can make a quick comment and then sometimes we never see them again on the forum. I might not even get their point of view if I forced them to tell us more about themselves, when all they wanted to do was a hit and run. Even a hit and run at times can bring something to the table in religious conversations.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest