Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Engagement Strategies Sending holiday messages to increase forum activity

For sharing and discussing ways to keep the community active and engaged.

Joeychgo

Multiple Big Board Owner
Website
www.forabodiesonly.com
Credits
So this is a strategy that many people don't think about.

We have Thanksgiving coming up tomorrow. Most forum admins will post some kind of "Happy Thanksgiving" thread.

-- Instead, try this--

Send all members a Happy Thanksgiving Private Message.

This is for several reasons...
  • First, most users will get an email telling them they have a new conversation. This will draw less active members to the site, increasing traffic.
  • Second, members will see this as a bit of a personal touch, making a positive impression.
  • Third, if you have ads, this will increase ads being seen and thus will generate more revenue for you.
  • Fourth, those inactive members who get the email and come to read the conversation may just post elsewhere, or may remember they are a member and become more active

It's helpful to not have the conversation message included in the emails. Make them come to the site to read it.

Peak revenue times for forums are from Thanksgiving until Jan 1. So it behooves you to make the site as active as possible during this time. Be sure to have ads placed on your conversation pages.

That’s a great idea! Thank you for sharing this @Joeychgo ! I also like how you add it’s helpful to not have the conversation message included in the emails. Good thinking!

I like this idea! Even for those who don't live in the states that don't celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow, I'm sure they'll still enjoy getting a private message. It shows that you care about the members on your community. You can still make a thread alongside sending PMs to everyone, the thread could go into detail about the history of Thanksgiving or to simply ask those what they're most thankful for.

Besides that, it makes members feel special! Imagine them waking up in the morning to a season’s greeting. They would surely click to know the contents of the greeting.

Get a little creative with it if you want as well. For example, invite members to post a dinner photo, or hold a contest that requires them to post something. The idea here is to get the member to engage a little and visit the site as much as possible.

Interesting point maybe, but as a Brit I have no interest in “thanksgiving”. It highlights the brutal treatment of native Americans who have nothing to be thankful for - other than genocide.

I like this example and giving a helpful solution to also support so many parts of running a community! I used to frequently send messages to members.

I would like to also say, do not always send messages to all users! I personally get frustrated when I get messages that I know went to the entire userbase and not very personalized.

Holiday ones make sense to send to everyone. Although they may not celebrate the holiday - if you state your reason for wanting to celebrate and reach out, it sends a good message.

I would like to also say, do not always send messages to all users! I personally get frustrated when I get messages that I know went to the entire userbase and not very personalized.

Some of that can be due to the writing. For example, the PM I just sent not only wished a happy thanksgiving, but also linked to a thread and asked the members to post a photo of their family dinner. Tons of engagement off that.

So not only did many users check their PMs but many of those also visited the thread and at least looked around. End result, a 20% increase in pageviews over the prior week ---pageviews not only equal engagement but also ad revenue. Plus, its ongoing as anyone who posted in that thread will get notices of responses, pushing further engagement/pageviews.

Often, being a little creative makes all the difference.

Some of that can be due to the writing. For example, the PM I just sent not only wished a happy thanksgiving, but also linked to a thread and asked the members to post a photo of their family dinner. Tons of engagement off that.

So not only did many users check their PMs but many of those also visited the thread and at least looked around. End result, a 20% increase in pageviews over the prior week ---pageviews not only equal engagement but also ad revenue. Plus, its ongoing as anyone who posted in that thread will get notices of responses, pushing further engagement/pageviews.

Often, being a little creative makes all the difference.
Creativity is typically key! That is a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and know how!!

I like this example and giving a helpful solution to also support so many parts of running a community! I used to frequently send messages to members.

Holiday ones make sense to send to everyone. Although they may not celebrate the holiday - if you state your reason for wanting to celebrate and reach out, it sends a good message.
I 💯agree about getting generic messages. It’s frankly annoying and almost looks desperate. On another note, it could possibly drive old members back by reminding them of their lack of activity.

Although if you knew them well as particularly active members, it wouldn’t hurt to send all members a personalised email asking how are you.

On another note, it could possibly drive old members back by reminding them of their lack of activity.

or they see something that reminds them why they joined in the first place...

I 💯agree about getting generic messages. It’s frankly annoying and almost looks desperate.

I also agree --- but a mass message can be written so it doesn't appear to be so generic.

or they see something that reminds them why they joined in the first place...

I also agree --- but a mass message can be written so it doesn't appear to be so generic.
The mass message should ideally ask a question like “Hey it’s been a while! How are you?” as this forces engagement. Smart tactic but no one really does it :p

The mass message should ideally ask a question like “Hey it’s been a while! How are you?” as this forces engagement. Smart tactic but no one really does it :p

well, I dont because I have 10s of thousands of members and I really dont want to have to talk to so many members at one time. I often direct them to a thread and ask them to comment there

Sending such emails can work very well when it comes to getting your inactive members to come back to the forum. I can remember it working well with me in getting me back to Bizdustry some years ago after being away for a long time.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest