Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Rewards for Trying?

Advertisement Placeholder
It’s a delicate balance because on the one hand you want to engage those who can and do excel to strive to be the best, and on the other you still want to motivate and encourage those who were never going to win.

It’s like me and school sports. I was never going to be up there athletically (some genetic factors, plus a total lack of interest) so it would have been easy to completely just not care and do the bare possible minimum, but at my school for the bigger sports events they actually did it both ways - everyone got *something* for participating, and the winners got *something else* on top.

This isn’t going to work for everyone in all situations but I think it’s important to at least try to recognise that for any such competition, there is a spectrum of capability and you don’t want to alienate the not-so-good people at the expense of celebrating the top few, but you also don’t want to alienate the top few from reaching their potential to appease the rest. I find that actively trying to recognise this does get noticed by all concerned even if you can’t do a great deal about it.

I remember people my parents age would always say my generation was too soft for needing prizes for losing. Sometimes a kid just needs to be recognized for trying though - it motivates them to try again. I suppose if they lose and don't get anything it may help them to want to strive to do better though. I kind of agree with Arantor here, I've seen it done where winners win the basic prize, and then get an even better prize. It seems fair to me, everyone participated, everyone gets something - even if it's just a coupon to somewhere it's better than nothing!

I remember people my parents age would always say my generation was too soft for needing prizes for losing. Sometimes a kid just needs to be recognized for trying though - it motivates them to try again. I suppose if they lose and don't get anything it may help them to want to strive to do better though. I kind of agree with Arantor here, I've seen it done where winners win the basic prize, and then get an even better prize. It seems fair to me, everyone participated, everyone gets something - even if it's just a coupon to somewhere it's better than nothing!
that sounds like my parents haha i'm pretty much in the same thoughts as you

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 75.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds