Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

I hate to mention it... but

I know I could start adding more postings and threads, and I plan on doing it. I also would like to see others doing this as well. I know that the world of forum admining hasn't been mined out, there's more that we can learn and share.
I would try also, but right now I'm so tied up with work around the house and then on my site that it's hard to do much more than swing by here and respond to topics.
Even if some topics are what are mentioned elsewhere, those other sites may be dying on the vine and people not visiting (I can think of one with a 3 letter acronym that apparently pushed may of their highest posters away) so having similar topics here is not a killer.
I'm currently working on a terminology article and have 228 terms defined just for one section dealing with astronomy. Still working on the astrophotography terms (67) and acronyms (about 40). And still adding more into the list, and trying to decide if the longest if I want to break them down by sections alphabetically (A-G, H-M, N-Z). Rather tedious, but if I'm hoping a can compile a decent list.
EDIT:
Well, there were so many XF would not let me add any more into the single page. And for the article system I have it for unlisted characters, so apparently there IS a limit somewhere.

Last edited:
I like the fact also that IPS pushes more content related updates. Where as XF lacks severely in this matter. But again, that is on me, not the script we chose.

I like the fact also that IPS pushes more content related updates. Where as XF lacks severely in this matter. But again, that is on me, not the script we chose.
Honestly, what I read in the HYS for XF after waiting years was already featured in a song.

you-must-be-joking-right-shania-twain.gif

Of course, they have promised to do more for the actual users benefit of the site, but if it's like their half-baked "featured" function.... there is another part to that

shania-twain-that-dont-impress-me-much.gif

Honestly, what I read in the HYS for XF after waiting years was already featured in a song.

you-must-be-joking-right-shania-twain.gif

Of course, they have promised to do more for the actual users benefit of the site, but if it's like their half-baked "featured" function.... there is another part to that

shania-twain-that-dont-impress-me-much.gif
lmao. True though. There’s nothing that I find interesting. Well not at least their renewal price.

lmao. True though. There’s nothing that I find interesting. Well not at least their renewal price.
Be sure to only sing praise to the lords of the manor over there as if you say anything negative, be prepared to be burned at the stake like any good apostate.

I think the software, overall administration and direction taken are all pretty nice. Sure I dropped some thoughts to pep up the community appeal problem but I don't think that's going to resolve itself with just more articles or snazzy new buttons.

The software can only take a community so far, it's the content and members that make a community a community. Sure the software does play a part, but you can pay for a script, add a bunch of add-ons to make a cool looking site, and a fully functioning site, but you still need content to bring in members and bring back members. There's going to be a slow period from time to time even on the most active forums. I feel as of late there's been more activity, especially in the traffic section since Nomad has been adding very helpful threads. It's hard for me to come up with new threads from time to time, I feel that I do better at replying to certain topics. (At least to the best of my ability.)

The software can only take a community so far, it's the content and members that make a community a community.
Yes, but the ability of that software to offer ease of discoverability of content plays a large part in that also.
You can have all the greatest content in the world and members posting right and left, but if your members cannot easily discover it (short of having to constantly go to a search engine because it provides better discoverability than your script does) then that great content does you little good.
I'll use XenForo as a classic case. They've had custom fields for around a decade.
It allows you to collect some good data that might not often be included in a post, but can be of benefit to members searching for certain items like camera used, telescope used, camera settings, etc.

Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 6.32.00 PM.png

But guess what... absolutely ZERO of that content is discoverable, even using their Enhanced Search 1st party add-on when you try to do a search.

Want to filter a forum based upon them?
Sorry... you are SOL once more.

Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 6.38.26 PM.png

At least with Prefixes they were intelligent enough to make it so that if you click on that prefix you can filter based upon them as well as doing it in the above box.

But mention that over there (there has been a suggestion out for searching filtering custom fields for several years) and it's like you asked them to code in the ability to control a rocket launch and that it would add to much to the software package.
Never mind that most of those who would want this would be HAPPY to have it done into XFES and pay the additional 1st party cost to have that ability and those that don't need/want it don't have to have it. In fact, most that would use it probably already have that add-on installed.

That is somewhat my initial post was about. Much of the "easily discoverable" content that was presented here was what someone wanting admin topics would consider fluff.
XenForo is lacking so badly in the native ability to push select content to the front for discoverability (much less searching/filtering for it) it is now a massive joke (and a bad one).
Yes, they've added their vaunted featured threads, but to get it to do anything worthwhile, you are going to have to wait on 3rd party developers to extend it because all they decided to do was give you the boon of a bare-bones offering, like they do most other things. I have rarely seen a developer so dependent upon outside developers to get their software to more than a base working ability and ignore customer requests (not acknowledge them in the suggestion area) or if they do implement it do it in such a basic manner it barely meets what was suggested.
As much as I "like" IPS/IC upper staff, I have to admit at least they do (when it comes down to features for the software) listen to their customer base and act upon it). Don't like some of their other business decisions, but listening to their license holders for feature sets I have to give them kudos.

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor