Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Retrenchment at workplace

Ralphjoe

Captain Junkie
Credits
Assuming there is a major economic downturn in the the economy, most companies won't have any other choice but to lay off some workers to be able to stay afloat.

This decision is always going to be a very difficult decision for the company to take. Now let's say this is your company and you have no choice but to lay off some of these staffs that you are so fond of,how will you break this news to this workers to lessen the effect of this devastating news?

Advertisement Placeholder
The most valuable thing in the human being is truth and honesty, and if you have made yourself known to your employees with those qualities, you will not have any problem. They will understand the economic situation and accept it. I say this with good reason because it has happened in many companies in my country today and the people I know do not blame the businessman. If not to the situation of the country.

Assuming there is a major economic downturn in the the economy, most companies won't have any other choice but to lay off some workers to be able to stay afloat.

This decision is always going to be a very difficult decision for the company to take. Now let's say this is your company and you have no choice but to lay off some of these staffs that you are so fond of,how will you break this news to this workers to lessen the effect of this devastating news?
Although, breaking a bad news is always the hardest, the truth needs to be told. I don't always break a bad news without suggesting a better offer. If I were the owner of the company. I will say it in a subtle way and also offer then a new way to bear the news

Retrenchment, or redundancy, is when a worker loses their job because it's no longer needed. It's important that the employer does not make you redundant, they make the position redundant. Usually this means that they should not be replacing the your position with someone else

There is no how to hide things kind situation than to call employees and let them know what going and what to happen. Employees will have already know the situation of economy. So, employer with tell them in polite way.

This retrenchment and alternate working shift is still being done until now for businesses that lost their revenues. In the transport business there is the rotating shift which means bus drivers would be driving every other day only. In factories that are severely affected the retrenched employees have reached 20%. Fortunately the retrenchment was only in small companies because big companies were able to weather the economic downturn in the pandemic era.

I think even the workers will know what is at stake when this happens so I don't think I have any other option than to lay off some them to get over the retrenchment overtime, I will also use the time to think about what next

The workers will still need to take the news no matter the medium the news comes from. But as good and empathy employer, he or she needs to call them and have a robust meeting with them and tell the situation on ground and why they are taking the drastic step just to save their business from crashing

Well , first of all I will consider those that their services won't change much in the company and start with them . I will explain generally that the company is facing a lot of challenges and thus won't be able to pay everybody . I will send them away with incentives .

It's never easy to lay off people. But as an employer, you just have to tough it out, bite the bullet and tell your workforce of the impending demise of the business. Not only is it the courteous and decent thing to do, it also gives them time to prepare themselves for the eventuality as well as to find other ways of earning etc. The longer you drag out telling them because you're being cowardly or whatever, the less fair the whole situation becomes.

You break it to them like every other way, I mean they too know how things are in the environment, but when you retrench them make sure you compensate them adequately, give them their pays and dues...

I don't there is any other choice, it is in the best interest of the firm. I think it is better I break the news to them rather than a stranger. Tough decisions must be made and there is no workaround around that. So yes it has to be done, breaking the news won't be easy but that is the job.

Whenever retrenchment is required in a business settings where by staffs are relieved of their duties, or because their services is no longer found relevant. I believe some steps has to be in order; such as setting a meeting among the staffs letting them understand the present situation of the company or organization, the seek for way-out from them, or better still ask them if the would agreed on having their salary reduced, only during the period of the economic downturn, then you would know who among the staffs that are willing to stay, no matter what happens in the company.

If you are going to retrench some of your staff for any reason, always ensure that the criteria used to select who goes and who stays is very clear for all to see, that way it will be easier to explain to the affected, so that nobody will accuse you of being biased. In terms of explanation, if the affected staff are few, you can have a one-to-one discussion with each of them, if they are many the information can be sent to them via email. Most importantly ensure that their entitlements are paid in full, so they will have something to fall back on.

I would advise them them. Let them know that retrenchment or losing your job is not really the end of the world. Sometimes, it pushes one to greatness. If one door closes, it is because another one is about to open. The Sacked employees should use their free time to learn a trade or skill

There was aplace I once worked,all the staff were summoned on and a letter was issued to all staff in that organization saying that our appointment have been terminated

this is exactly how I will pass on the retrenchment notice.

It is obvious that taking job from people is the most devastating and frustrating thing that can ever happen to any employee. Now that is going to be a bad new that requires maturity to handle. In this case, i will make it known to them the situation the company is and we regret this action at that moment but we have no option.

As for me it's normal and it's always happen because when you are not needed again and your services is useless then the company just need to let you all go by issues a letter to you all and moreover I will also do the same if am in that position

I believe before entrenching a worker he or she must have known about the economic situation. So what you have to do is to givethem a letter of entrenchment with a package. That package might two months worth of salary for them to sustain themself till they get another place of employment.
[automerge]1612734071[/automerge]
Convincing customers to buy a particular product can be very very hard. You will just have to speak to them on how the product works or you could give you a sample to go try out. And if they like your product they will surely come back to patronize you.

There is definitely no way around it. If I felt the retrenchment is for the best interest of the business, I definitely will have to give the letter but in an appropriate manner. Though, I understand that it would hit really hard on the employee because it is a devastating news. But I'll rather make decisions that are best for the business success

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds